TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Digital Storytelling Challenge 2013

Digital Storytelling Challenge 2013

• It's that time of year again! The TechSoup Digital Storytelling Challenge details have been announced. 

TechSoup is asking for a short video (90 seconds max) or five-image slide show telling the story of your mission-based work. Enter by April 30 to win prizes!

Timeline:

April 2: Digital Storytelling Launch / Submissions OPEN
    April 4: Webinar: Creating a Culture of Storytelling (register)
    April 9: Tweet Chat: Storytelling with Data
    April 11: Webinar: How to Use Your Digital Story (register)
    April 16: Tweet Chat: Storytelling Around the World
    April 18: Webinar: Digital Storytelling Tools and Methods (register)
    April 23: Tweet Chat: Storytelling and Social Sharing

April 30: Submissions close at 11:59 p.m. Pacific time

May 4 – 17: Community and expert judging

May 28: Awards Gala live in San Francisco and streaming online!

Here’s complete details on the challenge and how to enter.

Are you entering? Have questions? Want to discuss digital storytelling in general - video, audio/podcasting and online mixed media that tells the story (the accomplishments, the goals, the impact) of a nonprofit, school, library, or other mission-based organization? Jump in here on the community forum! 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Jayne Cravens
    TechSoup Community Forum Manager

• I would love to enter.  Our organization Friends & Stars, Inc., photographs our activity every week and have never had a way to put it into a storytelling form.  Will be on the Webinar tomorrow to gain information and will be getting started.

Thank you, again, for these wonderful learning opportunities and so looking to learn how to effectively share our mission in storytelling.

• We'll be sure to look for your submission, Friends & Stars! You still have time to tell your 5 photo story of some weekly activities. You can enter the challenge when you're ready, here. Just keep in mind that the submission period closes on April 30th, and you'll be good to go.

Hopefully the webinar you attended was successful in helping you walk away with a few new resources to better tell your own stories. Let us know if we can steer you toward resources that address your organization's specific needs.

-Ale

Alexandra Bezdikian
    Interactive Events and Video Producer
    TechSoup Global
    @alebez
    http://flavors.me/techsoup

• I am planning on using the 5-Photo Story approach for this challenge.  Have tons of photos that I can use.  Right now working on the wording and saw on the Webinar that it does not take a fancy written format.  Just want to show the ABILITY of our disabled clients and the way the art portion of our Club helps them to tell their story with paint; sometimes through music and most often in our dance and theatre sessions.

Thanks for following up Alexandra.

• I have submitted my short video yesterday. I have two questions: 1. I don't think I mentioned my nationality on the video - which I only noticed afterwards that you have to do it. So can I or should I resent my submission?

2.  I have uploaded my video to YouTube and saved it under 'unlisted' videos. Is it necessary or could I just open the video to others to watch. I did not read anything about any restrictions.

Best

Christel

• Hi Christel,

We did in fact receive your submission. In terms of mentioning your nationality on the video, that's not a requirement. What we do like to record is where YOU are from. You're form Hamburg, Germany, is that correct?

In terms of keeping your video "unlisted" versus "public" on YouTube - it just depends how you want your video consumed online. Public allows for the most visibility, so we'd recommend keeping your video listed as "public" at least for community voting.

Cheers!

Alexandra Bezdikian
    TechSoup Global
    @alebez

• It's all done and I'm ready to upload.  Just figured out I don't have a Flickr account so working on that now.  Also, I created my story using PowerPoint (which I just found out is not an acceptable format.  Any quick advice?   Can I send you what I have and get your solution?

• OK, I got it uploaded.  Thanks for the opportunity to be apart of the challenge.

• Thanks for responding to my queries. Yes, I am from Hamburg - Germany :-). I have now made my video public. THANKS for your advice.

Best

Christel

• On Monday, April 16, TechSoup took its Digital Storytelling global with a full-day tweet chat spanning 10 time zones. Each tweet chat covered a different facet of digital storytelling and featured storytelling experts and nonprofit and library participants. A lot of helpful and insightful digital storytelling advice was shared; here is the TechSoup blog reviewing the highlights

Keep posting here on the forum about what you are learning as you participate in the DS Challenge for 2013!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Jayne Cravens
    TechSoup Community Forum Manager

• Hello again Friends and Stars,

I just wanted to confirm receipt of your submission. Cheers!

Alexandra Bezdikian
    TechSoup Global
    @alebez