TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Museum Tour Apps

• Looking for information on companies that develop mobile tour app for museum. We are small, Western Film Museum looking for economical way to provide visitors with better experience while in the musuem.

• Hi 'Lone Ranger'

I am not based in North America so can not help you with info on companies. However, in the past I was IT Officer for the Scottish Museums Council and one of our members had great success with a mobile phone tour of their site... It was a large site with some outdoor features / exhibits so when visitors reached point x they could get an audio commentary via their cell phone.

As people were using their own cell phones after the initial set up the phone tours cost almost nothing to manage apart from a hosting cost. This idea may well not fit fit exactly with your museum or exhibits but it is a good example of what can be done.

Peter Cheer
    IT & Archaeological Consultant

web site http://tinyurl.com/visimpscot

• Welcome, Lone Ranger!

Yours is a question I am particularly interested in the answer to. Museums and technology are a conversation I enjoy following!

I've put your question out over Twitter as a TechSoup Donate Your Brain, adding the hashtags #artstech #musesocial and #MCN2012. (Other related hashtags you can follow for good museum tech info: #musetech #museweb).

I think we'll get some good responses from our community. In the meantime, check out this roundup of apps at museums and arts organizations put together by our tech analyst Ariel Gilbert-Knight. I hope that's a good place to start!

Michael DeLong | Online Community Manager