TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Need a Barracuda Spam Firewall or similar

Need a Barracuda Spam Firewall or similar

• Good Day to all!

I am the Technology Manager at a NPO in NY and I have been having really annoying issues with spam bombarding my mail server. I have finally found the time and money to invest in a Spam solution and I considered purchasing a Barracuda Spam firewall. Once I received the quote I realized that it was out of budget and so I searched the internet for another spam hardware alternative to no avail; then I thought maybe Techsoup will be helpful.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a new or refurbished Barracuda Spam Firewall at a price that fits a small non-profit budget? I will be awaiting your responses.

Best,
    Ali Hargett.
  • Hello Ali, how many email boxes are you looking to filter spam with? It might be more cost-effective to use a service such as mail route or postini.

Gary Network/Systems Admin Berlin, NH
    Host Non-profit Tech Careers, Security Forums
    Co-Host Networks, Hardware, & Telecommunications Forum

• I would actually go with a UTM - Unified Threat Management device. Today its spam, but tomorrow, what's the problem? Anyway, for out-of-the-box solutions I'm very impressed with the Astaro Security Gateway.

For a DIY solution, I use ASSP - Anti-Spam SMTP Proxy, its written in Perl (no, Perl is not dead). You can use an old system not currently in use (PIII or better would be fine), it will work on Windows or Linux. Doesn't need to be a server OS, desktop OS will work fine. Its open source, has decent docs, uses a whole lot of methods for anti spam, and will also integrate ClamAV for virus scanning.

Chris Shipley
    Nutmeg Consulting

• If you can run VMWare, check out Spam Vigilante:

http://www.redbudcomputer.com/spamvigilante.htm

I have had great success with this one, our Inboxes are more or less spam-free at this point. The author is also pretty good at responding to individual email messages. There is some initial setup, but it can end up being as hands-off as you like it to be.
  • Another alternative is an outside subscription service such as MailWise or Postini.
  • We switched from a locally hosted software called Hexamail to Postini. So far, no complaints! Postini is a subscription service (now owned by Google) and beyond blocking SPAM, it has basic virus protection as well. As an added bonus, by diverting all SMTP traffic to Postini first, a sizeable chunk of bandwidth has been freed up for legitimate use. Postini Pricing
  • Thanks Gary; Ive been really busy so I havent had a chance to respond. I have 15 boxes. What is mail route or postini, never heard of it.

Looking forward to your response.

Ali
  • Thanks so much Chris for your help, I will indeed look into what you have mentioned when I get a moment.
  • Once again thanks to you all for your insight. I will be moving forward with this in about a week or so, so I will be reaching out to you all again.

Ali
  • This is only a spam solution, but check out ORF Enterprise Edition from www.vamsoft.com. $200 to buy, $100/yr thereafter for a per server license. No per user or per domain fees. If you don't mind forwarding, one server can filter for multiple agencies. That's not quite as effective since it can't access AD for user names, but it still works well. ORFEE employs a variety of filtering methods.

Ed
  • Ali, mailroute and postini are both paid services that sort through your email for viruses and spam before it reaches your org. Here are the two links:

Postini
    http://www.mailroute.net/

Best of luck,

• I'm not a tech person at all so I don't know what a Barracuda Spam Firewall is, but our organization suffered greatly from spam. Each of us here would get over 100 a day. I don't know if there's a protocol for sending this info either. But, I've included a link to what we're using. It's effective and affordable, and most of all - it works! http://www.deadboltsv.com/
  • Thanks all for your help. I reviewed all of the options that each of you mentioned and I am in the process of evaluating postini. I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Ali
  • Awesome, thanks for the feedback. We love feedback!

Chris Shipley
    Nutmeg Consulting

• Glad to hear that you are test driving Postini. I used to get it free from my old ISP. I found it very easy to use, and quite effective.