TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Would you share your computers with non-staff?

Would you share your computers with non-staff?

• Would you consider sharing your nonprofit's computers with non-staff for training, educational, or even recreational purposes?
    senior editor, TechSoup
  • We would not be able to share due to sensitive information. We used to have a computer for public use in our waiting room to obtain health information online, but had to remove it due to inappropriate viewing.

Gary Network/Systems Admin Berlin, NH
    Host Non-profit Tech Careers, Security Forums
    Co-Host Networks, Hardware, & Telecommunications Forum

• Yes, I would love to offer my computers and lab space to anything that deals with learning and the betterment of humanity

:smile;
    --Guroo-- No coffee, No WORKKEE
  • No. A company's business computers are acquired and configured to meet the expressed needs of the business. Those needs are often in conflict with the needs of a training environment.

Blocking access to sensitive data isn't a problem (networked) but the last thing I want to see are employees who are unproductive because some student re-arranged all their icons, gave them Hanna Montana wallpaper and/or generally made their mission-critical computers unworkable.

On the other hand, whenever my clients buy a new batch of workstations, I recommend that a few of the older but still functional units be reconfigured and locked down for training or other casual purposes.