Become a social impact investor for as little as $50.
World Computer Exchange(WCE) is a 501c3 that has provided 10's of thousands of computers with educational content to classrooms in 51 developing countries in multiple languages since 1999.
The World Computer Exchange-Chicago Chapter has been an active part of WCE since 2005. WCE-Chicago has a strong base of volunteers and a continuous supply of computers. At about 35 Saturday work events volunteers refurbish 600 - 800 computers/year and send all of equipment to classrooms in Latin America from our 1500sf warehouse space in central Chicago. Our refurbishing process includes the installation of a linux base operating system and many gigabytes of open source education content.
The chapter is lead by a coordinator(s). This is a volunteer role that requires about 10 hrs/week. HOWEVER, IT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO SHARE THIS ROLE AMONG 2 INDIVIDUALS
The current coordinator, Jack ODonnell, is looking for the long term sustainability of the chapter and hoping to identify an individual(s) who may assume his position. He has been coordinator since 2005. This candidate would be provided with long term training before they would assume the role.
Four main activities of this position are:
1) Manage communications with other volunteers
2) Manage the communications with equipment donors and the pickup of donations(pickup will be done by a paid volunteer)
3) Oversee the Saturday volunteer work events and the refurbishing process
4) Coordinate with President and Director of Operation of WCE about the shipments of computers.
The ideal candidate would:
1) Have a devotion to providing technology to children in developing countries
2) Have an above average understanding of hardware and be familiar with Linux operating systems
3) Enjoy working with and leading groups
4) Be physically active(the role is partly tech, partly people and partly warehouse work)
5) Be willing to make a long term commitment to this work.
World Computer Exchange Chicago CoordinatorContent Project Manager773firstname.lastname@example.org
Just want to say that I'm a HUGE fan of World Computer Exchange! Thanks for all ya'll do! And you might want to also post to the Reddit Subreddit re: volunteers:
-=-=-=-=-=- Jayne Cravens Author, The LAST Virtual Volunteering Guidebook
Close this window