Join an online community with more than 350,000 members from 150,000+ organizations, where you can ask questions and get advice.
TechSoup hosts free weekly webinars on a variety of topics, from cloud computing to fundraising to social media and tech strategy.
Thinking about updating software, investing in new computers, or deploying a network or server? Our IT consulting services can help!
Close this window
Combine your passion for technology with your passion for teaching!
Year Up is a one-year, intensive training program that provides urban young adults 18-24 with a unique combination of technical and professional skills, college credits, and a paid corporate internship.
The IT Instructor role is a year-round, full-time position that incorporates teaching, curriculum development, advising, group facilitation, and committee work. The instructor will teach Introduction to Computer Applications and Computer & Network Support I & II from an existing but evolving curriculum. Emphasis in the classroom is on the students learning from each other and through their own curiosity, not just from the teacher.
Every instructor at Year Up is more than just a technical trainer. The foundation of our business model is high support and high expectations for our students. As such, instructors spend much of their time guiding students in professional behavior, helping to build their confidence, and advising them on choices (personal, professional, and educational) that will help them to reach their goals.
Instructors also participate in committees, site meetings, and other activities that enable our organization to operate and grow successfully. Our success to date is measurable: over 85% of our graduates are employed, at an average rate of $15+/hour, within six months of graduation.
• A passion for working with urban young adults, an unshakable belief in their potential, and confidence in one’s ability to make a difference
• Strong, dynamic interpersonal and team skills. Experience working with diverse individuals and groups
• Experience teaching or working with urban youth, preferably with the 18-24 age range
• Experience with curriculum, syllabus development and lesson planning;
• Experience with student assessment; and a talent to continuously evaluate the curriculum to identify what is working and what improvements can be made.
• Strong communication and teamwork skills
• Intermediate- to expert-level proficiency in Microsoft Office 2003/2007, Windows XP, Windows Vista, networking & troubleshooting, TCP/IP basics, and PC hardware support
• Bachelor’s (or Master’s) degree in a related field (applicants without a Bachelor's Degree may be considered for a Teaching Fellow position)
At least two of the following:
• Experience working with a similar population
• Technical training and/or classroom teaching experience
• Technical certification (A+, MCSA, MCSE, etc.) and/or experience in an IT support role
Year Up offers outstanding benefits and a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Year Up is strongly committed to diversity and encourages applications from people who can contribute to our diversity.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send your resume along with a cover letter addressing why you would like to join Year Up and how your experience has prepared you for the challenge of this role to Jessica Cogan at email@example.com.