TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Apologizing for Social Media Mistake

Apologizing for Social Media Mistake

• I have! Twice, I've sent out an email message that I've had to follow up with a correction. The first time I had to do it, I felt mortified, but the second time was easier. No one ever seems to have unsubscribed because of an apology, and I've seen such icons as Idealware and others need to do it, too. 

This question was also posted on facebook by The Nonprofit Facebook Guy. I really enjoyed the discussion where various people shared their experiences  about making a mistake on social media that needed an apology.

How about you? How did it go? Was your apology accepted?

Best wishes,

Sasha

Volunteer TechSoup Moderator

• Never! :)

Yann Toledano, Digital Marketing Strategist
    YTConsulting.com
    Host, Web Building Forum, TechSoup.org
    Twitter: @webmanyann

• :-) Yann, you are always charming! But IF you had ever had to apologize, I'm sure it would have been a charming one...

Have you ever helped a client decide on the correct way to correct a social media mistake?

Best wishes,

Sasha

Volunteer TechSoup Moderator

• Oh, Yann. So nice and precise.

I have made these sort of mistakes a few times. Okay, maybe a dozen. Sometimes, I have a short fuse and a poison pen (keyboard?). I've always been able to smooth things over, though, and have erred on the side of snarky humor more so than outright negativity.

Great topic, Sasha!

Excited to hear others' stories.

Michael DeLong | Online Community Manager

• Here's a currently-unfolding social media flub story out of the US Embassy in Cairo, Egypt. 

The U.S. Embassy in Cairo is being rebuked by both the Egyptian government and the State Department for causing an international incident via Twitter. The embassy tweeted a link to a Jon Stewart monologue that mocked Egypt's president for imprisoning an Egyptian comedian  — offending the Egyptian government — and then deleted its entire Twitter account before restoring it without the post in question, irritating Washington.

And here is a social media mistake on Facebook by a nonprofit organization that the community has pointed out - how do you think they should handle this faux pax? Or are they handling it by letting commenters have some fun?