TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Create Dynamic Online Training

Create Dynamic Online Training

• Curious about how to create effective online tutorials, screen captures, and courses? Join our free TechSoup webinar on Thursday, July 26 at 11 a.m. Pacific time to find out more.

During this webinar, we will be hearing from training experts dealing with the nonprofit and library sector. Janet Fouts will share her thoughts on planning an online training, from wireframing your course or tutorial to general skills and practices. Experts from Idealware will be discussing creating very short videos and on-demand training modules. Tune in for practical advice on making your online trainings as effective as in-person events.

Register now for practical advice on making your online trainings as effective as in-person events. 

Please contact webinars@techsoupglobal.org with accessibility requests within 72 hours of the event.
    What questions do you have about this topic? Share them here so we can further explore this training area.
  • What does "wireframing" mean?

Will this workshop suggest software that can be used to lay audio over a simple slide show? I have so many slide show presentations I would love to post to YouTube, or make available for downloading from my web site, so people could just push "play" and then sit back and watch and listen, but there doesn't seem to be a super simple tool to do that (also, I'm on a Mac).  

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Jayne Cravens
    TechSoup Community Forum Manager

• Here are answers to some of the questions asked in the webinar that we didn't have enough time to address.
    Thanks to Kyle Andrei of Idealware for these answers!

Q: Do google talk/chat or skype or join.me have the ability to break into small groups or talk just to a partner?

A: Both Google and Skype offer group video chats. Google’s hangouts are part of Google Plus, and work like a video chat room for groups of people, for free. Skype also offers video conference-calling, but I believe it costs money.

Q: Are there any super-cheap phone services for webinars?  We hope to offer both web and phone-in.

A: At Idealware, we use Free Conference Call to provide the audio for our free seminars. It’s not actually a great service – we’ve heard from participants that the audio quality is quite bad, and if you have a large group (we typically have around 80 – 100 people calling in for these seminars) people often get booted out of the call or have to try multiple times to get in.
    Another downside to Free Conference Call is that it doesn’t offer a toll-free line. So, for audio conferencing, you either have to pay the cost as an organization, or the participants pay for it by calling in long-distance. A lot of our participants are unhappy with that.

Q: In a grant funded program we need data.  How does one collect viewer data from a website or YouTube?

A: It sounds like you need web analytics software. Google Analytics is free and powerful – and will let you see how many people have visited pages on your website, what websites or links they came from, etc.

For YouTube videos, Google includes some basic stats, similar to Facebook’s insights, that you can access through the video manager.

Q: Can either of the speakers suggest a method for collecting payment for on-demand webinars? I love the social networking capabilities of products like ReadyTalk, but the e-commerce piece is missing. We need a solution for that.

A: So, payments would normally require a separate tool – typically whatever you’re already using to collect online payments or donations. There are a large number of donor databases, CRMs (constituent relationship management), and other fundraising tools that provide this ability. So, in the Idealware example, a constituent goes to our website to see what upcoming or recorded trainings we have, and when they click on the one they want, they’re actually taken to a page created by our database (we use Salsa), where they fill out a registration form and enter their credit card information. From there, we send them an email with the access information for that live or recorded training. 

Q: Where can you get non-copyrighted music?

A: Socialbrite actually has a directory for copyright-free music here: http://www.socialbrite.org/sharing-center/free-music-directory/

Q: How can I get permission for copyrighted material?

A: You’d have to talk to the copyright holder, which for music, is typically one of the big four record labels (Sony, Time-Warner, EMI, Virgin), and then pay the royalties. You’re better off using copyright-free music, like those found in this directory: http://www.socialbrite.org/sharing-center/free-music-directory/.

Sometimes, but very rarely, popular artists license their music under Creative Commons instead of a copyright, which sometimes (but not always) allows you to use the music, as long as you aren’t making money from it.

Q: How do you address schools blocking YouTube?

A: Well, in general students shouldn’t be on YouTube at school, but for educational videos, you might be able to get around it by embedding the video from YouTube on your website, or by hosting your video either on your own site or with another streaming service, like Vimeo.

Q: Can you have a clickable link in YouTube or just Vimeo?

A: With a nonprofit account, you can have a clickable call-to-action in your YouTube videos. You just have to apply for that account, which also removes the limit to how long of a video you can upload, giving YouTube the same benefits of Vimeo.

Q: I'm looking to offer webinars that have quizzes built in for attendees to respond, that will collect their responses for me to review later. Ideas?

A: For live webinars, I know Readytalk in particular will allow you to insert polls and questions, like the one we used in earlier in the presentation. As for eLearning modules, I know that Articulate includes several modules, Quizmaker and Engage, which provide that ability.

Q: In an employee training can you see who is watching each module?

A: That would probably depend on the tool/service you’re using. I don’t personally know of any that allow you to see what’s currently being watched, but if employees are required to log-in to view the modules, you can typically see their viewing history.

• Here are answers to some of the questions asked in the webinar that we didn't have enough time to address.
    Thanks to Janet Fout for these answers!

Q: Are there any tools that are particularly good with international audiences, partucularly in developing countries with limited internet speed.

If you can create slides in Powerpoint with step by step training you can post it to Slideshare, which is very accessible. With a pro account you can restrict who see it. Another alternative is to do text based training through a private Wordpress blog. Only members can view the content and the downloads are less onerous if you don’t have the bandwidth for video.

Q: Do webinar sources all cost

Nope. Anymeeting.com is a great free resource for small to medium sized meetings.

Q: We plan to sell online training for child care. Does all the software (GoToMeeting, Join.me) have the ability to allow participants based on their payment having been received?

What you need to do is put the registration behind a payment window. You can do this with Instant Presenter, for one example http://www.instantpresenter.com/Web-Conferencing-Features/PayPal.aspx

Q: Should you provide a copy of your slides to webinar participants to follow along with?
    I find it distracts them if you do it before the event. They get ahead of you and lose focus. Offer slides afterwards, or better yet a recording so you can see if it’s a popular presentation or not.

Q: Can you please share some favorite plug-ins for member access to content?
    Wp-member, Wishlist member are both good plugins to manage membership sites.

Q: Can/should you do continuous marketing on trainings? Do you have any suggestions about getting your webinars posted on other websites, other then our organization site to increase attendance.
    Get it out on Twitter, enable participants to share it when they sign up and encourage them to live-tweet the first one so people want to come to the next one. Get it out on all your social networks a week, a day, an hour before. Often I see signups wait until the last hour and then suddenly remember they wanted to join us!

Q: Can you give an example of a training done this way? (email drip)
    Sure, sign up for my Facebook Timeline e-book and you’ll see how I do it… http://bit.ly/QFYxe1 I’ll be releasing a series on Twitter in the next week or so. Here’s a good example of how it works
    http://groundwire.org/resources/articles/drip-campaigns

Q: The main thing that would help is examples of the different types of training Janet discussed - I'm not familiar with all of them and it's hard to picture it if you've never done it before
    Well this is a long discussion for a forum partly because there are an endless supply of variations on training online.
    Webinars and webinar series is the most obvious. These give a regular series of instructional trainings.
    Video series like the ones here on Udemy  http://www.udemy.com/google-for-business/
    Member only access to a wordpress site like this one http://www.wp101.com/
    Podcasting a series of audio recordings that people can listen to in sequence
    Drip Email campaigns, here’s an explanation of that  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drip_marketing

Q: What does "wireframing" mean? Will this workshop suggest software that can be used to lay audio over a simple slide show? I have so many slide show presentations I would love to post to YouTube, or make available for downloading from my web site, so people could just push "play" and then sit back and watch and listen, but there doesn't seem to be a super simple tool to do that (also, I'm on a Mac). (From the forum, post-webinar)

Wireframing is simply a glorified outline. I use mindmapping software for this because it’s easier to stream out a list of topics and then arrange them logically Mindmeister is my personal fav.

As for doing a voiceover on a slideshow. You can do this with a pro account on Slideshare, or usehttp://soundslides.com/ or if you have a Mac, you can record over your Keynote slides right in the application.

• thanks so much for the followup.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Jayne Cravens
    TechSoup Community Forum Manager