TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

What's the best email search tool for Outlook?

What's the best email search tool for Outlook?

• Long ago, I gave up using folders, for the most part, and rely heavily on google desktop to search Outlook. But for some horrid, terrifying reason, it has suddenly become unreliable.

What are the best search tools for Outlook?

Thanks,

Susan

Susan Tenby, Parernships, Online Community and Social Media Director, Caravan Studios, a division of TechSoup.org.

• In the past I have used Xobni.  

http://www.xobni.com/

Now I forward all of my email to gmail and do everything from there.

Tony

• Hi Susan,

I also used google desktop and it started to cause me problems.   You may be able to delete the google index and have it start over reindexing your desktop and outlook.

I scrapped google desktop and paid for copernic desktop search professional software.  It has been working pretty well for me, but as I recall google desktop seemed to do a little better interpreting the search.  

www.copernic.com

Dave

• Hi Susan, I have used xobni as well.  It works well and is free.  

Gary

Gary Network/Systems Admin Berlin, NH
    Host Non-profit Tech Careers, Security Forums
    Co-Host Networks, Hardware, & Telecommunications Forum

• Thanks guys. I downloaded Xobni and it crashed (produced an error and choked) while it was indexing my mail. Do you think this has to do with my massive email folder?

Susan Tenby, Parernships, Online Community and Social Media Director, Caravan Studios, a division of TechSoup.org.

• Try Lookeen! For me it is the best search tool for Outlook! Stable and fast! Because of shared index you can also search public folder, sharepoints (don't know if you need this) and your desktop!

For more just read here: http://www.lookeen.net

• susan_tenby

I downloaded Xobni and it crashed (produced an error and choked) while it was indexing my mail. Do you think this has to do with my massive email folder?

On no Susan, are you one of those people that keep every email in the hopes that you might need to refer back to it someday?  Smile  My boss has tens of thousands of email and was able to use Xobni.  What error did Xobni produce? 

Gary

Gary Network/Systems Admin Berlin, NH
    Host Non-profit Tech Careers, Security Forums
    Co-Host Networks, Hardware, & Telecommunications Forum

• I'm going to try Xobni. No, I don't keep every email, but my inbox is enormous and I've worked here for 11 years. I need to refer back to old emails often. We ended up upgrading to outlook 2010 and the search actually seems to be going fine for now. Xobni crashed while indexing. Will report back and thanks for your help!

• NEO Pro from Caelo Software is the best Outlook mail manager I've found.  It replaces Outlook and talks directly to your Outlook mail server.  It costs $49.95.

HOWEVER, the real hot ticket is their lesser-powered tool called NEO Find.  It sorts and categorizes all your software by subject and correspondent, and leaves the reading and writing to Outlook.

It costs $15!  I've found it so useful and reliable that after I forgot to unhook my license from my last job I payed the $15 for another copy at my new job.

Hot ticket: NEO Find.