TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Crazedlist: metasearch tool for Craigslist

Crazedlist: metasearch tool for Craigslist

• This is very cool. Put in your string, check off the cities you want to search, and quickly search Craigslist for all sorts of cool stuff.

This should definitely come in handy for NPs that depend heavily on Craigslist.

You can even get an RSS feed of your search!
  • I run Craig's Little Helper, a site similar to crazedlist. Lets you search multiple craigslist cities, etc.

IMHO it's got a few advantages over crazedlist, including
    • better layout of results for easier browsing
    • inclusion of all craigslist options, including "has picture" and "search titles only" (as of this writing not included in crazedlist)
    • cleaner, more efficient query entry (although this is a matter of opinion).
    Anyway, I'd love it if you gave both a try. And whichever you decide to go with, please fire me an email (via the feedback page) or leave a comment here to let me know what you think and what I can improve upon.

Cheers!
    Nathan @
    http://www.craigshelper.com
  • Yet another cool little CraigsList tool: Craig2Mail.

(And another Techsoup post on Craigslist tools)
  • And another:

http://craigslistwatch.com/
  • If you have problems viewing pages with CrazedList, here is one solution that their sites gives:
    if you're using the excellent web developer firefox extension then simply go to the disable menu and "Disable Referrers". if you don't have that extension you can go to the location bar in firefox and type "about:config" and hit return. there will be a window with a bunch of stuff, in the filter field type "sendrefer" this will reduce the big list to network.http.sendRefererHeader. click on that row, and change the 2 to 1 or 0 (1 will send the referrer to a site when you click on a link only, 0 will not send any referrer information -- thanks to brian for the about:config tip!). If you're using Opera you can alter this setting as well. in the location bar in type "opera:config", then type "referrer" in the search box, uncheck the enable referrer setting, and search like a madman! If you're using IE, delete it and use anything else
  • Any of you people visit woot? I guess there are tools for woot that are similar to the craigslist tools.

Gary Network/Systems Admin Berlin, NH
    Host Non-profit Tech Careers, Security Forums
    Co-Host Networks, Hardware, & Telecommunications Forum

• I love woot, but haven't used any of those tools.

Could you point us to some of those?
  • Here is something that I have been testing, has been pretty good, but have only been using it for a couple of days, haven't seen it in use during a wootoff. Wootwatcher

Gary Network/Systems Admin Berlin, NH
    Host Non-profit Tech Careers, Security Forums
    Co-Host Networks, Hardware, & Telecommunications Forum

• There is also this firefox add-on for wootwatcher.

Woot Watcher monitors the Woot! web site, and keeps you updated with the current item, price, and if it is sold out. During Woot-Offs, it will also let you know what percent of the item is...

Woot Watcher monitors the Woot! web site, and keeps you updated with the current item, price, and if it is sold out. During Woot-Offs, it will also let you know what percent of the item is remaining.
  • Here's another:
    CL Buddy
    instead of getting an email or text message every hour it can do it every 5 minutes. It will also send the actual content of the link. It's nice to get a text message with the contact phone number.
  • You can do craigslist multiple city search with picture previews thru my site at http://www.craigslist-search.com

There are some other free craigslist tools on http://www.craigslistcompanion.com

They even have a craigslist hitcounter besides all those craigslist browse and search tools.
  • Ah, this is very cool....

This is a new site that I hadn't seen until just today or so.

thanks!
  • I'm just curious, but don't services like these violate the Terms of Use (TOU) from Craigslist? In section 7. CONDUCT:
    You agree not to post, email, or otherwise make available Content:
    [...]
    u) use automated means, including spiders, robots, crawlers, data mining tools, or the like to download data from the Service - unless expressly permitted by craigslist;
    I'm just curious - I'm pretty sure all these services are against the TOU after reading that.

I was also at a forum where Craig Newmark was one of the panelists and I also recall him saying something about how these other services are against the terms of use. I hope I'm wrong, because these are cool.

Chris Shipley
    Nutmeg Consulting

• I'm just curious, but don't services like these violate the Terms of Use (TOU)

You just cp/pasted something from their site. Does that mean that you violated their TOU?
  • Interesting disclaimer when you go to Crazedlist...

"Crazedlist allows you to search multiple craigslist.org sites at once. However in order to do so you must disable referrers in your web browser. Doing so prevents craigslist from knowing that you have come from this site and prevents them from blocking your results".

I'm kinda with Chris on this ... I'm not a lawyer and won't comment on whether these 'services' violate the Craigslist TOU or not... but Craigslist is run with a certain degree of ethics and moral conscience... I for one do not wish to abuse that trust or jeopardize the work of a few good people. Think I'll continue to use the old way .. :-)