TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Who is using facebook for their professional networking?

Who is using facebook for their professional networking?

• Glad to hear it. If you learn anything more about why it disappeared, let us know.

Volunteer TechSoup Moderator

• I thought organizations are not allowed to have a profile so this article which starts with creating a profile is totally wrong. I need help creating pages and groups without having a profile. The challenge is to grow a page when you cannot connect to your friends, you cannot share postings to the page, etc. We are struggling to increase traffic to our page and desperately need tools and tips.

Thanks

Jirina

• "I need help creating pages and groups without having a profile."

Someone - a real person - has to create a Facebook profile, or use his or her existing profile, to create a Facebook page for your organization. There's no way around that. Several people can then administer the page/own the page once its created, you can remove administrators (or even yourself as administrator), etc. But there is no way getting around having to use a Facebook profile to create a Facebook page.  

Here's a page I created for the citizen members of a government agency advisory board in the small town where I live:

www.facebook.com/.../161187817307221

I administer the page from my Facebook account, and another person on the committee is an administrator as well. If I ever leave the committee, I can easily be removed by the other administrator as such myself.

If you absolutely do not want to create this Facebook page from your own, personal Facebook profile, because you want to keep your personal Facebook profile absolutely personal (as in its not work-related at all, you don't use it to link to colleagues, you use it to talk about politics or very personal matters, etc.) then your only option is to risk creating a second Facebook profile, with your real name, but slightly altered (without your middle initial if your personal profile already uses such, or with the acronym for your organization after your last name, etc.), and to then use this to create your organization's Facebook page. When I say "risk", I mean that, if Facebook catches you, they could delete your account. The more different you make this Facebook account from your personal account (don't list the same employer, don't have all the same friends, etc.), the less likely Facebook will notice.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Jayne Cravens
    TechSoup Community Forum Manager

• Thanks for your response.

I am so confused. We did create a page - totally unconnected to a profile. Our organization page does have 4 administrators (who have personal profiles, but the org does not have a profile since that is not allowed).

I certainly do not want any of my admins to be using their profile as that one of the organization, nor do I want to run afoul of the Facebook rules. 

I will continue looking for someone who set up a company page unconnected to a profile like I did for more help on how to use that kind of a page effectively. I guess that is the question I should have asked in the first place: I have a company page without a profile, so now how do I use it most efficiently. 

Alternatively, would it be better to set up a group for my non-profit and suggest to my personal friends that they join that group?

I am trying to grow exposure for our company.

Thanks,

Jirina

• Hi, Jirina.

The nuts and bolts of Facebook can get a bit confusing. For one thing, they're always changing! For another, people often use different terms to mean the same thing. Or the same terms to mean different things. I think that happens sometimes with "profile" and "page," which sometimes get used interchangeably -- or did back in the "old days" of Facebook (I think that article might be from 2007).

At any rate, it sounds like your organization has a page with four admins. That's a great place to start.

If you are an admin of that page, you can invite your friends to "like" the page. Please see this screenshot to see what I mean.

If you are not an admin of the page, you could still mount a campaign to get people in your circles (friends, colleagues, org partners, etc.) to "like" the page, perhaps through an email or newsletter.

As an admin of the page, you can post either as yourself on the page, or post as the page itself. When you post as the page itself, the posting will show up in the news feed of all those who "like" the page (unless they have unsubscribed to the page's posts).

Here is another screenshot, this one showing how to toggle between posting as yourself and posting as the page.

As for groups, some organizations find it helpful to have both a group and a page, with each taking on a different flavor. For example, in the Emerging Arts Professionals group that I belong to, we use the page to keep a much broader group of people informed about what we're doing, share industry news, etc. The group we use more to stay in touch with each other and share resources such as job postings (even though the group is public, not private).

This is TechSoup's Social Media 101 wiki page for Facebook, where you will find many more tips and tricks.

One of the best ways I have found to improve your social media skills is to study the social media of other organizations that are similar to yours or that you admire. Find a fellow nonprofit that you think has an excellent Facebook page and see what sort of stuff they post, how often, what sort of voice they use, how they are tagging other organizations, etc. You don't have to copy them, but take inspiration from their work.

I hope all of this is helpful. If you have more questions, I do love to talk about social media and nonprofits, so please feel free to ask away! And if I can't answer, we have many helpful people like Jayne Cravens here who will chime in.

Smile

Michael DeLong | Online Community Manager