TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

List of companies offering free Web hosting to 501(c)3 nonprofits and other charities

List of companies offering free Web hosting to 501(c)3 nonprofits and other charities

• In an effort to support the mission of the many nonprofits who are doing great work in the world, I'm compiling this list of current hosting providers offering 100% free web hosting services to 501(c)3 and other registered organizations.  Because the topic of web hosting is one that comes up often enough on the TechSoup forums, many organizations will hopefully find this list to be a helpful resource to them as a good starting point to explore their hosting requirements.  Please note that no company included in this list is being endorsed or promoted here in any way, shape or form.  Nor do I have any affiliation, past or present, with any company listed below.

Please also keep in mind that this is simply a list of free hosting providers for nonprofits and charities; by being included on this list, this does not constitute either a positive or negative review of any company mentioned here.  In other words it is up to you to research any Web host to find out if they meet your needs.  You can learn more about any Web host by reading reviews about them online and of course by contacting them directly.  A good place to ask questions and read user reviews about a particular hosting company is at the Web Hosting Discussion Forum at WebHostingTalk.com.

Please post to this thread if you know of additional companies not listed here that currently provide 100% free Web hosting to the nonprofit community.

Here are the companies that currently provide free Web hosting to qualifying organizations (this list will be updated regularly):

• DreamHost offers free Web hosting to US-based nonprofits and charitable organizations with proof of non-profit status.  The free plan includes unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth, and an unlimited number of hosted sub-domains.  See this link for more information.
      • HostGator provides a free Business Hosting Plan to US-based 501(c)3 nonprofits and other charities.  You must apply for HostGator's Technology Grant Program via this application form.  The Business Hosting Plan includes unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth, and an unlimited number of hosted sub-domains. [Update: Hostgator no longer offers a free hosting plan for nonprofits.]  
      • Grassroots.org offers free Web hosting to all registered US-based 501(c)3 nonprofits as well as registered Canadian charitable organizations.  The free plan includes 10 GB storage, 1000 GB bandwidth, and up to 10 hosted sub-domains (see the full list of features).
      • myhosting.com is a Canadian-based company that provides free Web hosting to registered US-based 501(c)3 nonprofits and Canadian charities as well as educational and governmental organizations. Unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth, and unlimited hosted sub-domains. [Update: myhosting.com no longer offers free hosting for nonprofits - "Applications Closed" on their site.]
      • EZPZ Hosting is a company located in the UK offering a free Junior Package Hosting Plan to any UK-based charity.  Plan includes 1 GB storage, 10 GB bandwidth, and unlimited hosted sub-domains. [Update: EZPZ no longer offers a free hosting plan for charities.]
      • Moonside Media is another UK-based company offering free web hosting to any charity or nonprofit located in the UK (organizations outside the UK may also qualify for free hosting).  The free plan "includes a generous amount of storage space, monthly bandwidth, email accounts, and all other standard features you would expect with website hosting."  You must also display a link back to the MoonsideMedia.co.uk. site. [Update: Moonside Media seems to have gone out of business.]
      • Content Harmony offers free web hosting for selected charities and nonprofits located in the Pacific Northwest.  Free hosting plan includes up to 1 GB of data storage, up to 10 GB bandwdth, and basic email accounts.  You must also display a link back to the company's site on your own site. [Update: Content Harmony is no longer offering free web hosting to new applicants as of January 2014.]

[Last Updated: January 2014 - Yann]

Yann Toledano, Digital Marketing Strategist
      YTConsulting.com
      Host, Web Building Forum, TechSoup.org
      Twitter: @webmanyann

1. Yann, this is awesome! I volunteer w/ several nonprofits and this is an issue that comes up all the time! I plan on pointing many to your list. :)

Megan Keane

Follow me on Twitter: @penguinasana or connect with me on my website.

2. Excellent, Megan!

If others reading this are aware of other hosting companies that currently provide free hosting to nonprofits, please tell us about it here.  I'm looking forward to adding more names to the list!

YTConsulting.com

3. Yan thanks for information about free webhosting.. where i can got information about freewebhosting in places like africa..

thanks

4. Most companies on the list above will provide free hosting to nonprofits/charities that can prove they are located in the USA or Canada.  It's possible these same hosts will be able to offer free hosting to organizations located outside of North America.  Best to call them directly to find out.

Another thing you can do is to search on Google for web hosting in Africa, or web hosting in whatever country, and contact any company you find.

YTConsulting.com

5. Great timing, Yann. I just posted TechSoup Snapshot: Voices from the Community: Web Host-ess with the Mostest that compiles many of the discussions we've had in the forums about web hosting services.

Do you have another to add to the list? Let us know here!

Best,

Megan

Megan Keane

Follow me on Twitter: @penguinasana or connect with me on my website.

6. Hi Yann! Thank you for this excellent post! The new charity we are working on is actually registered in the UK. I wonder if there are any other web hosts such as EZPZ Hosting that offer free web space for charities located abroad too. I will try giving the American ones a call first, perhaps they can make an exception. If anyone else knows any UK-based ones, please do let me know!

7. kutcherj

Hi Yann! Thank you for this excellent post! The new charity we are working on is actually registered in the UK. I wonder if there are any other web hosts such as EZPZ Hosting that offer free web space for charities located abroad too. I will try giving the American ones a call first, perhaps they can make an exception. If anyone else knows any UK-based ones, please do let me know!

Glad you've found the list helpful!

Actually, in addition to EZPZ Hosting, MoonsideMedia is another UK-based web host that offers free hosting to charities and nonprofits based in the UK.  So you might want to check them out, too.

I'll be adding this host to the list shortly.

YTConsulting.com

8. This is a very good list.

I use Dreamhost, and while they have their ups and downs, they are a very good deal for the price.

9. Just chatted with HostGator agent who informed me they no longer have nonprofit grants.  So, take them off the list

10. Be very, very careful going with a free web host. Such a host may not allow you to have your own URL, or they may require that they actually own the URL, and if you decide to move web hosts, may not want to give it up. They may require you to post advertising on your site which, IMO, makes your site less sticky and even less credible. Support can also be poor - what you are getting is free, therefore, you aren't a paying customer, nor a priority if there's a problem.

I know Hostgator no longer gives nonprofit freebies, but at just $5 a month, it's a fantastic deal, and the tech support is absolutely outstanding.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      Jayne Cravens
      TechSoup Community Forum Manager

11. Has anyone here tried grassroots.org? I'm looking for feedback or recommendations.

12. I am looking carefully at myhosting.com for remote storage and redirects. I posted a specific question on remote storage on WebBuilding Forum.

Thanks for the listing of all these hosting companies.

13. Your list is great! I for one didn't know that half of those companies offer webhosting for free to non-profit organizations. This is a good deal if they also offer the full service with all the extras for no money. Because usually I'm not a big fan of free hosting as they then are full of ads.

14. this is nice i have use myhosting.com