TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

RE: How do I register a domain name and set up a site of my own?

RE: How do I register a domain name and set up a site of my own?

• Hi,<:LINEBREAK:><:LINEBREAK:>Most of the registration companies let you register a name without having to have an associated site. You can simple go through the process and, when asked for the specific IP address, use the default provided by the organization.<:LINEBREAK:><:LINEBREAK:>Typically, that takes you to a page that says the site name is registered and awaiting content.<:LINEBREAK:><:LINEBREAK:>Alternately, you can get a free website from geocities or tripod or one of those organizations, find a nifty picture of a construction worker and let people know that your site will be content-rich --- eventually.<:LINEBREAK:><:LINEBREAK:>Once you do have content and a real location for your site, you'll need to go back to the company with which you initially registered the domain and enter in the appropriate information so that your URL will point to the proper place.<:LINEBREAK:><:LINEBREAK:>(quick clarification -- the URL is the www.techsoup.org and the IP address is the number associated with that URL).<:LINEBREAK:><:LINEBREAK:><:LINEBREAK:>gorick.
  • Thanks Gorick for the reply, but I'm not sure I made myself clear about what I was asking. I have already bought my domain. I have no associated website with it yet, but I am looking for a way to use the dmain name that I bought as my email address to get contacts (even before I make the site live.) For example, I would like to get email at susan@mydomain.xxx. I have no website yet. How do I go about doing this?

Susan Tenby, Parernships, Online Community and Social Media Director, Caravan Studios, a division of TechSoup.org.