TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

What makes or breaks a Web site?

What makes or breaks a Web site?

• What makes a Web site successful? What dooms it to mediocrity? In Ten Things That Will Make or Break Your Web Site, one technology strategist weighs in.

What do you think? Share your feedback here.
    senior editor, TechSoup
  • The secret should be no secret at all.

Rule 1: Know your intended audience

Rule 2: Content is king. Keep your content on target with your objective and aim it squarely at your intended audience. Don't assume that what YOU think is important (or what your board of directors thinks is important) is what your inteded audience feels is important. Do the research. Do the interviews. Do the homework to learn about what is important to your audience.

If you give the audience what they want, they will keep coming back. It is that simple.

Many organizations like to publish what THEY feel is important. They look at the new site and could not feel more proud, because THEIR information is pretty important to THEM. But when you turn the site around and look at it from a web visitors point of view, do they feel the same way? Are you giving the web user what the web user wants, or what YOUR staff wants.

It is all a matter of perspective.

Tim Claremont
    Systems Administrator
    Rochester, NY

• Content.

Marc Trimble Director west7th.net [b] West7thDomains.net Hosting for NP's and NGO's worldwide.

• Well, I kinda figured the "look" was included in "what the end user's want". :-)

I approach it this way because a heavy metal rock band web site is going to have a decidedly different "look" than the city philharmonic orchestra "look".

Either way, it is the intended audience that should sway the decision, rather than the developer or web site "owner". Hence, Rule 1: Know your intended audience is quite a project!

Tim Claremont
    Systems Administrator
    Rochester, NY

• Has anyone used Microsoft's Expression Web to create their website? My organization 's web site (fcii.org) was created with Front Page 2003. I am trying to revise the website with Expression Web, which is supposed to be the upgrade from Front Page. Some of the things I used with Front Page, such as webring code and hit counter, pose incompatibility issues on Expression Web. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • I'm sure I will be able to use some of this stuff reasonable quickly. Even know at this stage of the game, I'm still having some trouble with the simple (but not for me) site builders tools. I know, I should know this already. I have a whole two months experience on the computer.
  • Join the crowd I too am having trouble with site builder tools, at least I'm not alone.

SoCalLady

• My organization 's web site (fcii.org) was created with Front Page 2003. I am trying to revise the website with Expression Web, which is supposed to be the upgrade from Front Page. Some of the things I used with Front Page, such as webring code and hit counter, pose incompatibility issues on Expression Web. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

There's a good 50-page white paper published by Microsoft that covers how to transition your site from FrontPage 2003 to Expression Web. Your hit counter and webring compatibility issues are addressed in the document:

Download the Expression Web White Paper

Hope this helps.

Yann

Yann Toledano, Digital Marketing Strategist
    YTConsulting.com
    Host, Web Building Forum, TechSoup.org
    Twitter: @webmanyann