TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

How to import an RSS feed?

• A college friend of mine recently asked me how to bring in an RSS feed into a website she's administering, but I have no idea what to tell her. One example of a news feed she'd like to this NPR Middle news feed.

Can she do something simple as just create a table and then put in some sort of HTML tag? (To give you an idea of how naive I am when it comes to web dev stuff. All I know is that I enter in some weird URL into my google reader accut, and everything works magically!)

If anyone would like to email her, her addy is s r o s s AT palestine center . 0 r g
  • I'm pretty new at this RSS stuff also, but I may be able to contribute a little...

There are a number of scripts that allow you to put the RSS on your site, but they are by far not created equal. The main thing that I see is that the ones that use Javascript are very common and very easy to install. The problem is that while visitors get to see the feeds, our friendly search engines do not. They only see the JS code in the page.

To get the full benefit, you will want to use PHP or another programing language to process the feed and convert it to HTML which can then easily be displayed in the page. And a "caching" script would be best, since the feed is downloaded once and then displayed for a period of time before it is later updated.

Sorry I can't provide any specific solutions at this time.
  • To get the full benefit, you will want to use PHP or another programing language to process the feed and convert it to HTML which can then easily be displayed in the page. And a "caching" script would be best, since the feed is downloaded once and then displayed for a period of time before it is later updated.

Interesting. Since I'm helping her with some of the PHP-programming, I'll have to search for a script. If anyone knows of such a script, please share.
  • I'm quite new to this area as well, but here's something I found that looks interesting:

Free RSS to HTML PHP Script

Yann

Yann Toledano, Digital Marketing Strategist
    YTConsulting.com
    Host, Web Building Forum, TechSoup.org
    Twitter: @webmanyann

• This is by far the simplest way to post RSS feeds on your site.

Simpley enter in the URL of the feed and click go!

It then creates the script and you paste the script on your page. Done.

It will give you either JAVA or PHP script to paste into the area of your page.

We use it here: West7th Staff News Page

Get the tool! FeedDigest.com

Marc Trimble Director west7th.net [b] West7thDomains.net Hosting for NP's and NGO's worldwide.

• Hi all,

Not sure if I understand what you are looking for, but below is how I pasted an RSS feed on some other websites (e.g. a feed from my http://del.icio.us/dorineruter bookmarks is on my website at www.ruter.nl (near the bottom))
    [ulist]
    [*]Lookup the RSS feed address (by opening the feed and copying the url from you browser, or by right clicking the rss feed link). In this case the RSS fed of the NPR site is already in that page: http://www.npr.org/rss/rss.php?id=1009[/*]
    [*]Visit 'Feed to Javascript' and click on 'Build'.[/*]
    [*]Paste the rss address in the correct field and check if all settings are the way you want them. You can leave them as they are, if you want or play with this by going back and forth from the preview and the settings page and change the settings.[/*]
    [*]Click the 'Preview feed' button in the box on your right to see how the feed will look once published on your website.[/*]
    [*]More advanced users could try the 'stylizing your displayed feed', but I never did that. The style (font type, color, links) will be taken from your website's style sheet, so if you have an CSS file in place on your own website, this shouldn't be a problem.[/*]
    [/ulist]
    Hope this helps?

How I understand the whole RSS story: your Google Reader or Bloglines or any other feed aggregator is programmed to every once in a while check whether the RSS feed you are subscribed to has changed, and then copies the whole thing. So when the NPR site publishes a news item, it shows in their feed and after a while your aggregator had picked it up.

Your HTML website however doesn't have such a 'check' feature and you need some other programme to do it for you. Feed2JS is one of those services and to me it's been very helpful.

Best wishes,
    Dorine
    Dorine Ruter-Noordzij http://www.ruter.nl/blog | http://www.kleinebeetjes.blogspot.com
  • My Stamford CT nonprofit (www.domuskids.org) doesn't have IT people, and we're not exactly tech savvy. This was just what I needed. I have been befuddled when confronted with RSS icons in the past, but now I know exactly what I need to do! You've likely saved me several hours per week. Hooray! Thanks a million--was my sigh of relief audible???

Garland Walton
    gwalton (at) domuskids (dot) org
  • Feed Sweep (http://feedsweep.com/) is a free service that lets you build the feed by entering the URL's on line and then they give you a simple iframe code to put the feed on your site. You can also alter the style of the headers , etc. and dictate how many characters you want to show in the title and the description. It's an easy, good solution.

Susan R Grossman Finishing First (Web Development)