TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Get to Know Web 2.0

• Everyone is abuzz with talk of "Web 2.0." Though the term bears the familiar version number so often attached to software products, it is actually the moniker for an emerging set of Internet-based tools -- including blogging, RSS feeds, tagging, social bookmarking, and AJAX -- and an emerging philosophy on how to use them.

Learn all about Web 2.0 in TechSoup's What Is Web 2.0 Anyway?

To learn more, check out some of the threads from TechSoup's Web 2.0 event:
    * Tagging 101
    * Personal Aggregation: Social Bookmarking, Feedreaders, etc.
    * Widgets and AJAX applications

Thank you to all of you who contributed to the discussion, as well as to Michael Janofsky for compiling the information for our feature story.

Join the conversation! Has your nonprofit adopted -- or considered adopting -- any Web 2.0 technologies? Which ones? What has been the result? Share your experiences and ask questions here.
    senior editor, TechSoup
  • I just returned from the CES show in Las Vegas. Interesting you bring this up, I attended a panel discussion sessions on Web 2.0.

Web 2.0 is being thought of as interim, and will be rapidly replaced by Web 3.0. I personally think this is all a bunch of hype. But I will say the people promoting Web 2.0 telling a very weak story. It’s more of a minor upgrade. Web 3.0 is defiantly more interesting and has defiantly has more to offer. (The one name I liked was WebSideStory)

As someone said, are we are all going to be a Web 3.0, why focus on something that’s already becoming obsolete?

Right now I’d focus more on Web 3.0 and just pay marginal attention to Web 2.0.
  • I disagree. It's important to keep an eye on Web 2.0 technologies now because they will provide the foundation for future technologies.

Remember, "Web 2.0" isn't a single product that can become obsolete just because some rolls out "Web 3.0". Rather, it's a reference to a phase in the evolution of the Web.

So, just as we're still using Web 1.0 technologies today (like HTML pages, message boards, Flash, etc.,) it's highly likely that we'll still be using technologies from the Web 2.0 phase long into the future. Nonprofits that tune out will not only miss out on some great tools but will have a harder time keeping up.

--Amit

Amit Asaravala Manager of Editorial & Content Strategy TechSoup
  • The message I walked away with was the Web 2.0 should really be considered Web 1.5. Yes there is some interesting technology, but the next real advancement will be with Web 3.0 and Web 2.0 will be a footnote in the evolvement of the web.

• I’m just not sure about all of this...

IMO the true Web 2.0 came about in 1997 when the W3C launched the "Web Accessibility Initiative" to make the web accessible to all. Web 3.0 was probably 1998 when XML became the lingua franca of the web and changed forever the way we view proprietary data ownership.

Web 4.0 might be considered the day the web went mobile (wap), or maybe the day (1997) that discussion forums like this became wide-spread and changed forever the static nature of the 'net for the global community (or would that be Web 0.8?)

I suppose Web 1.0 was followed by Bubble 1.0, so Web 2.0 will likewise burst a few investors in the Web 2.0 marketing gambit.

It just seems presumptuous to state this moment in history as being so definitive as to describe a quantum leap... there is nothing at all 'quantum' about Web 2.0 (or the proposed Web 3.0) - these are just transitionary developments in something that's ever evolving into something else.

The Web grows day by day – as do we all - and we play no more of a part than those who came before us, or of those who are yet to come.

Don

• Well said donc.

I'm begining to think this is all marketing hype.
  • IMO there is also some psychology underpinning this - The generation who built the net have mostly moved on or taken a quieter stance on today's 'net... the generation now taking ownership have yet to stake a major claim (nothing truly innovative has been developed for quite some time) - I think there is a need for recognition; a need for today's generation to leave a footprint for future generations so they can say "We were here and look what what we did. We created Web 2.0".

Don
  • Non profit organisations are always strugling with the use of technology to assist them in deliverying positive social outcomes. I work for an organisation in Australia called CISA which provides support and guideance. We run an conference each year Connectingup.
    This year for Connectingup2006 blogging and web 2.0 are sure to be topics of interest. Look forward to finding out how other organisations are making use of these technologies.
  • Your Connecting Up Conference sounds very interesting. Closer to the time, we will post about it on TechSoup, in teh events section.

Speaking of conferences about Web 2.0, in case you haven't heard, we are putting one on in May.

Go to Netsquared.org and click on conference, for details.

Susan Tenby, Parernships, Online Community and Social Media Director, Caravan Studios, a division of TechSoup.org.

• Those interested in hearing others' experiences can find inspiration and pratical tips on TechSoup's NetSquared site, where Marshall Kirkpatrick's Blog features interviews with nonprofit and technology innovators about the latest Web tools.

senior editor, TechSoup
  • Other Web 2.0-related conferences you might be interested in are BrainJam's Unconference: Using Social Media in January (Washington, D.C.) and The Future of Web Apps in February (London, England).

For other upcoming events, see TechSoup's calendar of Nonprofit Technology Events.
    senior editor, TechSoup
  • For those interested in following an ongoing discussion of Web 2.0 technologies, consider subscribing to NetSquared's recently launched newsletter.
    senior editor, TechSoup
  • When will NetSquared cover Web 3.0.

Why only cover Web 2.0 which has already been rev'd to 3.0?

Isn't Web 4.0 happening?
  • When will NetSquared cover Web 3.0.

Why only cover Web 2.0 which has already been rev'd to 3.0?

Isn't Web 4.0 happening?

As always, thanks for the laugh, Douggg.

(This is a joke, right?)
  • Rog, Not sure what you mean?

Are you laughing at NetSquared for not covering Web 3.0? If so, I would not laugh at them, but rather say how disappointing. They are failing to inform people about what’s going on. This is the Emerging Technologies section and Web 3.0 and Web 4.0 are certainly emerging, where as Web 2.0 appeasr to be more of a footnote of current technology rather then and emerging technology.

If you are laughing at me, then you are violating TechSoup’s message board rules and policies. Not sure why you are mean spirited and do not want to foster a healthy discussion and educate others.

Ether way, I hope you can learn from your mistake and become more interested in helping others rather instead of making fun of them.