TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Cisco PIX 501 Firewall

• Installing a firewall is an essential step in securing your network. Yet not every firewall offers the same level of protection. TechSoup's article Guide to Installing a Cisco PIX 501 Firewall will show you how to configure and set up Cisco's PIX 501 and offers helpful links, a glossary, and resources for additional assistance. In Guide to Installing a Cisco PIX 501 Firewall: Advanced Setup, we'll walk die-hard techies through advanced PIX 501 Firewall setup options, including configuration, ethernet and security considerations, and more.

Have questions or feedback about PIX 501 Firewall? Write to us in our forums.
    senior editor, TechSoup
  • I had problems with my CISCO PIX 501 Firewall.The firewall is not connected to internet when hyperterminal show monitor>.Until now I have to manually reboot my CISCO PIX 501 Firewall from hyperterminal to get internet connection.
  • They work great when configured correctly. If you're not sure how to do this, you should contact a cisco certified technician.
  • Ridzuans,

your problem is common with PIX501. This is not a config. issue, just a timing issue inside the PIX, and sometimes Cisco routers that causes this.
  • I agree with tracee. I was able to setup my pix by the help with the cisco tech. Even though it did take me a while to find one(tech) that I could comprehend what he was telling me. Once you find a good one try to "buddy" up with he/she. :wink;
  • Hello,

My problem is that i can't access the firewall via browser.It works okay and sees internet via the adsl router of mine, but i only can configure it via console.

I use the same IPs i used in the config to access it via browser.

Any ideas ?
  • Make sure that the adsm img is included in your pix.
    enable http
    your pix firewall is at https://ip/admin

Quynh
  • "adsm img is included in your pix"

What do you mean ? And how do i make sure it's included ?

• in the pix exec mode do the command below
    pix#show flash

Quynh
  • I get :

flash file system: version:3 magic:0x12345679
    file 0: origin: 0 length:1978424
    file 1: origin: 2097152 length:2045
    file 2: origin: 0 length:0
    file 3: origin: 2228224 length:3152452
    file 4: origin: 0 length:0
    file 5: origin: 7864320 length:308
  • Greetings, My cisco pix is configured properly and both (2 computers attached on the pix firewall, firewall attached on the adsl router ) computers from windows can access internet.One box from linux can't access internet but only can ping the firewall and the other computer.Any ideas ?
  • Hi guys,
    I just picked up a cisco pix 501 for $5 at a garage sale thinking it was a ethernet switch. I dont have any of the software or a user liscence wondering if it is any good for me or whether i should just throw it away??? I have a home network and a high speed cable internet connection, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated Dave.
  • I dont have any of the software or a user liscence wondering if it is any good for me or whether i should just throw it away??? I have a home network and a high speed cable internet connection, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated Dave.

You don't need any software, just a rollover cable, DB9 converter, and a termal program (like Hyperterminal) to configure it.

Or you can access it via HTTP and configure it that way.

Do you have the password? If not, you'll need to reset it, which may be a little confusing for first-timers.
  • This artical was great for me, I got my Pix 501 working with no problems.....Thanks!
  • Hi guys, we have this cisco pix 501 installed in our offices with enabled passwords. The problem is that the one who install these is no longer connected to us.. Now one of our offices is transferring to another ISP because of technical problem. Since the pix 501 is configured to the previous providers IP address, its now not granting internet and intranet access. Guys, is there a password recovery procedure for PIX 501? I need your help. Thanks