TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Questions about the Microsoft Donation Program Updates or the Microsoft Donation Center? Post them here!

Questions about the Microsoft Donation Program Updates or the Microsoft Donation Center? Post them here!

• As you may have heard by now, there have been a number of updates to the Microsoft Software Donation Program AND we've added a handy Microsoft Donation Center for eligible organizations to keep track of everything!

Have questions? We suggest reading our blog post about the updates here. However, if you've still got questions or comments, post them here!

Autumn Teeter | Training and Optimization Manager for TechSoup Client Services

• I seem to be easily confused these days - too many balls in the air and too few gray cells left. I think I understand the procedure for getting genuine MS Windows (we're currently running Ubuntu Linux). Please tell me if I've got this right:

1. Register with Techsoup
    2. Request an appropriate license from Techsoup
      a. decide if you need 32- or 64-bit
    3. Receive the license
    4. Get, if you don't already have it, a Windows Live ID
    5. Register with MS Volume Licensing Center, using the registration information from Techsoup
    6. Request a download from MS VLC
      a. decide what kind of licensing key you need
    7. Download the software or get disks
    8. Install the licensed software using a key provided by VLC

One thing I don't understand (Step 2) is whether this procedure is right for MS Office. That is, should I request 10 licenses for the 10 government-surplus PCs I got, or one Volume License?

Thanks for any guidance. I like Ubuntu and Open Office, but it's too much to ask our volunteers and staff to climb that learning curve along with everything else a new organization has to learn. They will be even more grateful when I get Windows running.

• I can certainly help with your questions (and great job on the process outline!)

All Microsoft products available through TechSoup have the same type of licensing (Open Licensing) and should be requested in the same way. Though it is through their Volume License Center, the licenses are individual and not site licensing. So, if you need to install Office on 10 machines, you should request a quantity of 10.

Please let us know if you have more questions!

Autumn Teeter | Training and Optimization Manager for TechSoup Client Services