TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

What about LittleGreenLight out of Seattle? Other options?

What about LittleGreenLight out of Seattle? Other options?

• We are also a start-up looking for "cloud" database that can easily be set up and then accessed by both PC's and MAC's.  Has anyone tried LittleGreenLight, hosted out of Seattle?  The ones mentioned by dtannenb above appear to be relatively expensive for our small organization.

Thank you for any help that you can give.

• Hi, Whidbey Island Nourishes,

Have you tried asking LittleGreenLight for some references, i.e. companies that use their database, that you could call and talk to? That could give you a start in knowing how users experience the database-- its strong points and maybe some of its shortcomings. Of course, the company is going to give you the names of users who they believe are satisfied, but especially if you have a list of questions on points that are important to you, you should be able to get a sense of what your experience as a user would  be like.

Hope that helps,

Sasha

Volunteer TechSoup Moderator

• We LOVE LGL and would be happy to talk to you about them.  We are a small nonprofit arts studio in Chicago- The Arts of Life. You can email me, Denise Fisher or our Development Manager, Emily Smith, from our website.  

Two things that we find the most useful compared to other databases:

1.  Nick and his team are VERY helpful and quick to get back to you.  They never make us feel badly about reaching out with questions and are open to considering changes that would make their system work better for the organizations they support.

2.  As many users as you want at no additional charge.  This is a life saver for us because we are a small organization and our whole staff are responsible for using the database and helping us foster partnerships.  When I researched other databases most of them offered the same options, but only one or two users without additional charges. 

Please let me know if you'd like more information.  

Good Luck!

Denise

• Something else you may consider is Amazon Web Services' free tier - you can get a Linux system running MySQL for no charge!

• We are also looking into online databases & Little Green Light looks pretty great - my concern is that we are a slightly larger organization (although with a very small staff of 4.5). All the reviews I've read of LGL have been 2 years old, would love to hear from more recent users.

• "All the reviews I've read of LGL have been 2 years old, would love to hear from more recent users."

Have you thought about contacting the company and seeing if they would be willing to let you talk to one of their current customers?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Jayne Cravens
    TechSoup Community Forum Manager

• We also use LGL and like it a lot. I think the reviews are only 2 years old because it is a brand new platform. Nick is extremely help on their support team and has made all the changes we've requested to make the system better as we have been using it for a year.

• We use Little Green Light as well and LOVE it! Have been using them for 1+ year now, and am so happy to have switched.