TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Word 2010 not printing in color

Word 2010 not printing in color

• I have installed Office 2010 on 15 public computers and 1 staff computer with no problems.  I am having difficulty though on 2 different staff computers only in regards to color printing while using Word 2010. 

I can print in color just fine from these 2 computers if using other applications such as Publisher, internet, excel.

I have already tried the properties adjustment (uncheck print in grayscale) and that does not help.  I have also gone to File, Options, Display and selected the Print background colors and images check box under Printing Options...with no luck there either.

Has anyone else ran into problems with Word 2010 and color printing?

Thanks!

• Hi and welcome to TechSoup--

Hmmm, this has me head scratching. Could it be an issue with the printer driver? I'd make sure you have the latest driver installed, if you haven't already.

Let me know if this does it.

Best,

Megan

Megan Keane

Follow me on Twitter: @penguinasana or connect with me on my website.

• I checked to make sure I have the latest driver, and I do......so I am totally baffled.  The only work around I have found is to save any document I want to print in color while in Word 2010 as a PDF document.  It will then print in color fine.  Just one extra step though, and quite annoying!  Other than this, I really like Word 2010.  Thanks for taking the time to help!

• In the properties, you said you checked to see if grayscale was unchecked.  By some chance was manual checked?  My settings are set to automatic. 

Best of luck,

Gary

Gary Network/Systems Admin Berlin, NH
    Host Non-profit Tech Careers, Security Forums
    Co-Host Networks, Hardware, & Telecommunications Forum

• I have a few more questions.  Which printer model are you printing to?  Which driver do you have installed?  Have you tried printing to a different printer to see if that works? 

Gary Network/Systems Admin Berlin, NH
    Host Non-profit Tech Careers, Security Forums
    Co-Host Networks, Hardware, & Telecommunications Forum

• I checked to make sure,  no manual is not selected....it is on automatic.

The printer model is HP Color LaserJet CP3525n.

I rechecked to make sure I had most current driver, and it says I do...I believe version 2.5.8

Yes, I can print to another printer (same exact model but in different location) and it will print in color fine.

And this is only in Word 2010.

Publisher, Excel, internet are fine in color from this same pc and printer......uurrgghhhh!

• I have had the some problems but if I have something that I need printed in color that is urgent, I select the "Print using color ink only" in the Ink Use box in Properties and the document will print in color.  Of course this is impractical, expensive, and frustrating.   My printer (Dell V510 Series) will not print in color if my settings are on Automatic and I "Print using all available ink" in Word 2010.  I am working on trying to correct this.  This does not solve your office system problems but it may help in a pinch.  Please post your solution if you figure it out!  (I will, too!)

Regards,

Terry

• spotwat

I have had the some problems but if I have something that I need printed in color that is urgent, I select the "Print using color ink only" in the Ink Use box in Properties and the document will print in color.  Of course this is impractical, expensive, and frustrating.   My printer (Dell V510 Series) will not print in color if my settings are on Automatic and I "Print using all available ink" in Word 2010.  I am working on trying to correct this.  This does not solve your office system problems but it may help in a pinch.  Please post your solution if you figure it out!  (I will, too!)

Regards,

Terry

Hi Terry,

Please note it has been almost 3 years since the original poster started this thread.  I only mention this so that you and others reading here do not expect to receive feedback from the OP.  Given the amount of time that has passed, it is unlikely they will post a follow-up response/solution to their printing problem.

However, anyone experiencing the same color printing problem in Word 2010 might still benefit from reading this thread.  So thanks for posting your workaround solution.

Yann

Yann Toledano, Digital Marketing Strategist
    YTConsulting.com
    Host, Web Building Forum, TechSoup.org
    Twitter: @webmanyann