TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Microsoft Word: page border doesn't print

Microsoft Word: page border doesn't print

• I'm trying to put a border on a Word document and when I go to print, I get:
    The page borders of section 1 are set outside the printable area of the page. Do you want to continue?

No matter how I finagle the margins (or try the suggestions on Microsoft's site), I can't seem to fix this. So what happens is that (in portrait mode), the bottom half of the border does not print. Any suggestions?
    Thank you all.
  • It sounds like either your top/bottom margins are too big or you have too much text on the page.

How does it look in the Print Preview? If you can't see the bottom border then you need to do something to bring it up so it shows.

If you DO see it but it doesn't print, then it may be trying to print in the bottom .5 inch of the page, which on a laster printer is not a printable area. You need to move it up so it will print.

This is just guesswork without knowing what your settings for the document are... :-)
  • This happens when I have NO text on the page. For example, if I pick an Art border (say, the ice cream cone border), in print preview the bottom of the ice cream cone will not appear, nor will it print. This is before I have typed any text. If I change the bottom margin to .5" this will happen, if I change the bottom margin to 3" this will happen. I never see nor am I able to print the complete bottom border. Is there a place to set up borders besides the margin??
    Thank you for your help.
  • What version of Word? (2003 or 2007 etc.) - the menu locations are different depending on the version...
  • I'm using Word 2007.
    Thanks again, this is getting frustrating!
  • Hi,

There is a Microsoft knowledge base article for this issue in Word 2007 available online here - hopefully some of the suggested workarounds will work for you...

Good luck!

Don
  • Thank you; option three did the trick (and yes, I have an HP printer...)!