TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

New article: Donor Management Software

New article: Donor Management Software

• We've posted another article on Donor Management Software.

Do you have any tips on how to find the right software package for your organization? What should you look for in a system?
    Frith Gowan Editor, TechSoup.org
  • Love to see similar comparison on nonprofit accounting packages.
  • This is off topic for the fundraising tech forum, but since we're on the subject...

Accounting Software Advisor has links to reviews of most major Accounting packages. NPower New York used to have a "Guide to Selecting Software for Your Nonprofit's Fiscal and Development Departments" on their web site. It's no longer there, but it's archived in the Wayback Machine. It includes brief reviews and comparisons of Accounting packages. I think it's several years old.

Robert

Forum Moderator
    Robert L. Weiner Consulting
    Strategic Technology Advisors to Nonprofit and Educational Organizations
    robert [AT] rlweiner [DOT] com
    www.rlweiner.com

• Tech News, United Way of New York City's online newsletter, published an article on evaluating and selecting donor management software, including strategies for selection, a system selection process and some examples of donor software appropriate for small, medium and large organizations: http://www.uwnyc.org/technews/v7_n3_a2.html

In addition, Tech News featured METRIX, a free and customizable database offered by the Fund for the City of New York, in a recently published article: http://www.uwnyc.org/technews/innovations.html

• I'm looking for a donor database for my organization that is based on Access. Does anyone have any experience or advice on finding such a system? We need to integrate donor files with an existing volunteer tracking database that is Access based.
  • This TechSoup article on Inexpensive Donor Databases includes a listing for a free Microsoft Access database template posted on Microsoft's web site. I think the Willow Mountain Giving database is also written in Access. Some of the others might be as well.

Robert

Forum Moderator
    Robert L. Weiner Consulting
    Strategic Technology Advisors to Nonprofit and Educational Organizations
    robert [AT] rlweiner [DOT] com
    www.rlweiner.com