TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Comments, Questions and Thoughts on Windows 7

Comments, Questions and Thoughts on Windows 7

• Our organization purchased Windows 7 Pro through techsoup.  We got the 32 bit version.  I believe in the near future I will be reinstalling the OS on one of our PCs.  Can I change my mind and get the 64 bit version?

• I believe that you can get a 64 bit version with your Software Assurance benefits. You can see if the download or installation disk is available through the Volume License Service Center or call Microsoft Worldwide fulfillment: 1-800-248-0655

Autumn

Autumn Teeter | Training and Optimization Manager for TechSoup Client Services

• Autumn;

I downloaded the win7 64b upgrade ISO but am still unable to install; will not boot from XP without an error stating I have the wrong current version.  It also won't boot from bios.  the DVD I received from tech soup is for the upgrade requiring a qualifying OS.  Do I download the full version of win7 from the Volume Licensing Center?  Will my product codes work for that version?

Jeff

• Hi Jeff,

Yes, the full version should be available for you to download and use. Whatever downloads are available to you through VLSC are included in your licensing agreement.

Autumn

• That's great news Autumn; thanks for your prompt reply.

Jeff

• Jeff, the reason you probably couldn't run the upgrade from your Windows XP Pro is because its a 32-bit operating system.  The Upgrade DVD is expecting a 64-bit operating system in order to run.  If you'd purchased the 32-bit upgrade, it would have worked.  The solution Autumn gave you should have you rolling with valid licensing, etc,  etc, just thought I'd put out there why you might be getting a problem.

Chris Shipley
    Nutmeg Consulting

• We just bought a new laptop with Windows 7.  I was going to order MS Office 2007 to install on the new laptop, but read that Office 2007 might not run on Windows 7.  Is that true and should I order Office 2010 instead?  We are familiar with Office 2007 and that is why we thought better to install that one, but maybe Office 2010 is so similar it won't be hard to learn?  Any thoughts on that?

Peggy

• If I have deep freeze on public computers, why does the computer need extra virus protection?

• Deep freeze will restore the computer on reboot to the previous state, but from the time of infection to the reboot, the virus could use that computer as a proxy, launch platform for other attacks, or be a spam email sender until it is rebooted.  Also the virus protection can make the web experience better by blocking annoyances that may be present on sites that get accessed.

Dave

• I am having trouble finding the full version of Windows 7 on the website - all I see are upgrades.  We are having a computer built and need the full version.  Can someone help?

• Hi there,

I am sorry for the delay in responding to your question. I see that since this post you have requested Windows 7 Upgrade. At this time we do not have full versions of Windows Operating Systems. You will need a previous version of Windows in order to use the license as Microsoft had intended. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Autumn

• We have stacks of HP desktops and Dell laptops that the hard discs were all wiped before they were donated. Since I don't have an operating system present, I wouldn't be able to use any of the Windows 7 upgrades. Any suggestions on the cheapest route to get the full version?

• JACols,

I would try to contact a Charity Reseller. There's information about a few specific companies as well as a list you can browse in our Quick Guide to Discounted Software Programs: www.techsoup.org/.../page5055.cfm.

Autumn

• If WIndows isn't cost-effective, don't forget that you also have the option of Ubuntu, the free, open source alternative. Sounds too good to be true, I know... just found out that it's now approved for use within US government offices. The French police seem to like it. Do a search on TechSoup for Ubuntu for more info.

• If you're thinking Ubuntu, you could use any Linux distro, more or less as well, but Ubuntu's energetic public outreach and development have made it very popular. Since there are no licensing hassles like Windows, the installation is extremely easy and quick.

It is not just a question of cost; some people are dependent on programs that cannot yet run under Linux, although Wine is providing compatibility for more and more Windows programs, and is very easy to use. And the wonderful free software available for Linux (that can be selected and installed with a few mouse clicks right within Ubuntu) can replace most of the programs you are using now in Windows. The Linux community calls Windows a legacy system.

The 11.04 release of Ubuntu is coming this week, but the Beta works very well, and I've found in the past that the transition from Beta to final release is a very minor event. Ubuntu has changed the user interface in this release; it is visually cleaner, but you don't find everything where you were used to finding it; until you customize it, I don't know if you could call it more elegant.