TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Data and Reporting Software

Data and Reporting Software

• Hi,

The organization I work for is collecting and tracking massive information.  We were tracking and reporting data  manually with our own templates. But we really need a software to help comile and report all the data.

Does anyone have any sugestions of what softwar to or to not use?

Thank you ;)

• Hi there--

I'm moving your post over to our Software forum so our experts there can help.

Best,

Megan

Megan Keane

Follow me on Twitter: @penguinasana or connect with me on my website.

• Microsoft Access has an excellent report writer built into it.  And Access is available to qualified nonprofits for a bargain here at Techsoup.

I also use a mini report writer, which is an easy to use reporting tool built using Microsoft Access that is available for free.  Let me know if you are interested.

Finally, the fFoxFire report writer seems quite powerful to me, based on a preliminary review.  It is not too expensive.  but it will require a knowledgeable IT/computer type person to set it up for you and it has a bit of a learning curve.

info.foxfirereporting.com/

Bob

Free case management software for food pantries/emergency services 501(c)(3) organizations. See: http://webpages.charter.net/bobalston/bob1.htm

• Business Objects has a good product called Crystal Reports that is sold for $55 / license right here at TechSoup - limit of 4 licenses.

Bob's Access suggestion is good, too - but the report writer in Access does have fewer features than Crystal.  That may or may not be a good thing.

You can also take a look at SPSS - but that is not cheap software.

Chris Shipley
    Nutmeg Consulting

• Hello all,

I would recommend taking a look at Windward Reports [referrer link removed by admin], they're my hands-down favorite reporting package. Pretty easy to learn and use and plugs into MS Office so there's no new environment to learn.

-Jack

• Jacksoar -

that software appears to be quite expensive.

bob

Free case management software for food pantries/emergency services 501(c)(3) organizations. See: http://webpages.charter.net/bobalston/bob1.htm

• Hey Bob,

I think there are several different packages you can choose from depending on what exactly it is that you need. But you're absolutely correct, this software is expensive, expecially compared to something open source. Check out this interesting article though:

opensource.sys-con.com/node/630803

From an open source magazine no less, it talks about the hidden costs of going with open source software and how in the long run (potentially less than a year) the overall cost of open source software can be greater than commercial software.

-Jack

• Yesterday I wasn't allowed to post links, so here's the Windward link again: [referrer link removed by admin]

• jacksoar

Yesterday I wasn't allowed to post links

jacksoar, the link you gave is a referrer link. Our Community Rules & Standards prohibit spam of any kind in the forums. You are welcome to recommend someone to a specific software solution, but you need to disclose any affiliation or way that you are benefitting from referring people to a specific solution.

Thanks for understanding our policies,

Megan

Megan Keane

Follow me on Twitter: @penguinasana or connect with me on my website.

• Sorry about that Megan, I never intended to spam anyone.

I am indeed associated with Windward and we're having a contest to see who can generate the most clicks, which is the reason for the referral in the link. With your permission I would like to repost the link. However, I fully understand if you would prefer for me to not post anything further.

Once again I apologize to anyone who considers themselves spammed on my behalf.

• With full disclosure we're glad to have the links as long as it is generic and not a referral link, and it is directly answering a question on the forum.  We have several vendor's representatives participating here, often responding to posts and participating in the community outside of their own interests.  (so you may not win the click through contest but you may find a customer)

They will provide links to their products when the answer is appropriate, and often give links to other vendor's information when the product they represent is not the right fit or solution.

I think Megan gave you the link to the community standards or you can find them on the sticky post at the beginning of each forum.

As more and more NPOs need to provide outcome based reporting, to have knowledgeable participants who can direct us to appropriate reporting methodologies and tools could be a good asset on the boards, as there are many options from pivot tables, to full blown data analysis packages.  Its and easy place for an NPO to spend too much or get the wrong tools.

Dave

• Jacksoar -

How about asking Winward to make their product available through Tech Soup?

If not that, at least a SIGNIFICANT discount for nonprofits, as otherwise the software would likely never be licensed by nonprofits due to the cost and other alternatives available.

Bob

• Hey Bob,

Wow, leave it to me to not realize this entire site was dedicated to technology for nonprofits. It makes much more sense now that you would be looking for the most economic and affordable software instead of the most powerful software. I'm going to have to talk to some of the big wigs here and see what we can do about possibly offering some sort of discount or lite software package. If you don't mind Bob, could I ask you a few questions if you are indeed looking for a reporting package? It would definitely help me get the ball rolling on my end. Thanks!

-Jack

• jacksoar
    Check out this interesting article though:

opensource.sys-con.com/node/630803

From an open source magazine no less, it talks about the hidden costs of going with open source software and how in the long run (potentially less than a year) the overall cost of open source software can be greater than commercial software.

This is not an "open source magazine".  Its an on line technical article company.  From their own "about us" web site
    sys-con.com
    SYS-CON Media, founded in 1994, is widely recognized in the Internet-technology and magazine publishing industries as the world's leading publisher of i-technology magazines, electronic newsletters, and accompanying i-technology breaking news, education and information Web portals. The company has further solidified its dominant role in the i-technology space with the 2001 launch of an events business, SYS-CON Events (trade shows, conferences, and education).
    They are clearly a for-profit company.  They just happen to report on open source as a way to stay in the tech news arena.  The article is very biased and in my opinion too general.  You could say many of the same things about support from many closed-source companies.  I give you the other shining example of SugarCRM as a viable, open source, well-supported product.  DotNETNuke, Ubuntu, Asterisk (some of its flavors, anyhow), JQuery, Solaris, FOG, OpenMPI, MIMO, OpenMoko...  How about some more well known ones that are in production all over the Internet?  Apache web server, Tomcat, SpamAssassin.  How about Java itself - which I see Winward selling a Java reporting engine.  If open source is so invalid, how does your own company justify using open source with one hand, yet telling its clients not to use it with the other?

If you are going to cite articles as a way to promote your product, I would suggest you choose articles that are more relevant.  The situation presented in this article dated August 2008 is the same (and invalid) arguments I've been hearing about open source for years.  I have seen many closed source systems, with paid for support, implemented for my clients that are worse horror stories than anything I've read in that article.

Chris Shipley
    Nutmeg Consulting

• Looks like I just got PWND. Who is next in line to bash jacksoar???