TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Need some help with Publisher 2007

Need some help with Publisher 2007

• Hi Everyone:

One of the softwares I use is MS Publisher 2007 to design a number of different training brochures. I would like to lock the publisher file, probably by password, so that others are not allowed to make any changes to it. It seems like it should be a fairly easy problem to figure out, but I haven't been able to! Any suggestions.

At about ready save all the publisher files to my local drive and save the pdf files on the server in their apropriate folders, but I would really rather not, as one other person may need to access these publisher files when I'm out of the office.

Thanks,

Jay 

Jason Blais, Communications & Technology Coordinator

Maine Rural Water Association

• Hello Jay, unfortunately, Publisher doesn't have the built in functionality for password protection like Excel has.  You could create a read-only version of the file and tuck away the original document you create. 

Gary Network/Systems Admin Berlin, NH
    Host Non-profit Tech Careers, Security Forums
    Co-Host Networks, Hardware, & Telecommunications Forum

• That's what I was begining to think, I haven't been able to find what I wanted. Thanks for your help.

• Yeah, I like the idea of placing a copy on the server with the PDF and marking that file itself on the server as "Read-Only" - it prevents accidental changes (but not intentional ones).

Chris Shipley
    Nutmeg Consulting

• I feel like a tool in not being able to remember this, but how would I go about locking a folder on our server so I'm the only one (or other with a password if I give it to them) to access the folder? I know I've done this before, but can't seem to remember how to get there.