TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Office 2007 addintools menus

Office 2007 addintools menus

• Can TechSoup partner with Addintools.com so we can teach classes in Excel or other Office software and use the old menus instead of the new ribbons? Addintools makes an addin that is easy to install and turn off. It makes it easy to teach the old menu style of Office tools. A lot of people want to learn it this way, then eventually upgrade to the 2007 or later ribbons when they have to change. We have ten computer in our lab so even the current multiseat price from Addintools is expensive. MikeJ at Mcminnsenior.

• I can't answer for TechSoup or Addintools.com but I think, Addintools.com would have to be the willing partner there, I believe TechSoup is usually always looking for more partners.

If you did buy your Office 2007 from TechSoup, then you must have registered your licenses on https://eopen.microsoft.com   The good news is that this site should also provide you with Office 2003 installation codes and a link to download the installation media for Office 2003.  These downloads are usually .EXE files that self-decompress to an .ISO file.  An .ISO file is a CD-image file and most CD burning software will allow you to "Create CD from Image..." then choose the ISO file.  If you don't have CD Burning software, try CD Buerner XP - the open source one.  Let us know if you have trouble finding the download and product codes.  Then you don't need any addins in order to use the old style menus.

Chris Shipley
    Nutmeg Consulting

• I like the new Ribbon style that Office 2007 has used.  It was an adjustment at first.  Unfortunately, I had to go back to Office 2003 due to other users.  Most people with Office 2003, do not have the compatibility pack installed for 2007.  So, I was sending attachments to people and they weren't able to view them due to the new file extensions used by 2007. 

Gary Network/Systems Admin Berlin, NH
    Host Non-profit Tech Careers, Security Forums
    Co-Host Networks, Hardware, & Telecommunications Forum

• Gary, you can change your default save type to be 2003.  I actually made a (poor) video on how to do it in Word 2007, and the same process applies for Excel and Powerpoint.

Chris Shipley
    Nutmeg Consulting

• Oh, the video loops automatically - it's an open source tool that I'm still getting used to.  I will reproduce it soon, but it can be confusing if you don't realize the video is looping.

Chris Shipley
    Nutmeg Consulting

• I've done that, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having 2007 installed.  I will stick with 2003 until 2007 is more widely used, or more people get the file converter so that they can open 2007 documents.  Not a huge deal to me. 

Gary Network/Systems Admin Berlin, NH
    Host Non-profit Tech Careers, Security Forums
    Co-Host Networks, Hardware, & Telecommunications Forum

• Hi Gary, I would say it depends on the situation and yours demonstrates to be one where its most convenient to run 2003.

As far as mcminnsenior is concerned, I would install 2003 if that makes sense for the training :)  (as it seems to).  I think you can actually have both versions installed if you want.  So you could train in either as you needed to.  I believe you would install MS Office 2003 first, then Office 2007.  Take a look at this article on the topic from Microsoft.  The process is well documented, but it seems to be pretty involved.  So it depends on how much time you have on your hands :).

If you're running a lab, you also might want to take a look at Windows Steady State.  It may save you some headaches.

Chris Shipley
    Nutmeg Consulting

• Chris, thanks for all the input. We did not purchase the MS Office 2007 directly through Techsoup--our supplier may have, but I don't know.

Question: If I do request the info and generate the ISO files and install them, what do I have then? Have I set up a new set of Office 2003? What happens to 2007? I really don't want to lose 2007.

The beauty of the AddinTools code is that it is easy to install it and change back to 2003 menus for a class, then you can remove it and go back to 2007. When I hear myself say that, it seems that having both Office 2003 and 2007 installed would be the ideal setup, don't you? Or is there a problem with that?

I am not familiar with Windows Steady State software. What's that about?

MikeJ

• Alternatively you could go with something like the free version of [ Ribbon Customizer ] and either modify the ribbon to look like an O2K3 menu, or better yet... have both (a Classic UI tab on the ribbon that presents the O2K3 menu bar when clicked - this is my personal preference)  

Installation is very simple - after downloading just run the exe, start Word or Excel etc. and follow the [ few simple steps outlined here ] to get a Classic UI tab that emulates the old O2K3 menu bar.

It's simply brilliant for training purposes because your trainees have both the O2K7 and O2K3 menu's accessible to them (without a need to fully install O2K3 and O2K7 on the same box) 

• PS - The Ribbon Customizer only works with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. I haven't found this to be a problem - Outlook, Publisher, Visio, Project, InfoPath, Sharepoint Designer, Groove and OneNote all use traditional menu's anyway (no Ribbon) and the exception of MS Access is really a development platform, making it easy to customize menu's depending on the database in use.

It really is a great little add-on for anyone wanting to migrate to O2K7.

• MikeJ - I'd give the Ribbon Customizer that donc recommended a try for your menu/ribbon problems.  I don't know who your supplier is, so I do not know how they purchased Office 2007.  Most suppliers (like Dell and HP) will typically sell you OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) copies of MS Office which will not allow you to install previous versions - unless you specify to the sales people otherwise. I can tell you that if they purchased using Open License, then you should have access to download 2003.  Technically, you would have to uninstall 2007, install 2003, then follow the instructions on how to also install 2007 when 2003 is already in place.

As for Windows Steady State, did you click the link?  Its a free download from Microsoft that allows you to set up computers the way you want them, and users cannot make permanent changes to them.  Anything they do to Drive C: is wiped out at restart.  So you could maybe give them network storage so they can save their files or USB keys to save their work on.  It also helps prevent the spread of viruses and malware (though nothing is 100%).

Chris Shipley
    Nutmeg Consulting