TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

appointment scheduling programs

appointment scheduling programs

• Does anyone know where I can get some scheduling software to track and make appointments? We are a small pregnancy center. Office Outlook doesn't work well with our network manager.
  • Hi,

For small-scale scheduling, nothing really beats Outlook - What is the issue with your network manager? (is this a person or a software system?)

Don
  • Hi, thanks for the response. The Man who set up my network told me that since I was working with the Vista system and the other office computers were working with XP, the Outlook wouldn't work for me. I haven't even tried it. Any suggestions?
  • Hi there...

Are you trying to schedule meetings with people in your office as in doing a free/busy search to see whom is available?

Or are you just trying to send meeting requests to people inside or outside your organization that they can respond to?

Give it a try, won't hurt you any more than you are at the moment if it doesn't work.

Chris Shipley
    Nutmeg Consulting

• It sounds like apc is trying to get a scheduler for office appointments at their pregnancy clinic. Would Google Calendar work in this situation?

Gary Network/Systems Admin Berlin, NH
    Host Non-profit Tech Careers, Security Forums
    Co-Host Networks, Hardware, & Telecommunications Forum

• I'm actually a little more concerned than that. It appears to me, if I can make a few assumptions, that APC used to have the ability to do this prior to the installation of a new PC. But now that APC has a Vista computer, they no longer have the ability to do so because the other computers in the office are running windows XP? That doesn't sound right to me at all.

Chris Shipley
    Nutmeg Consulting

• Chris, you are correct, just because they have different versions of Windows, doesn't mean they shouldn't have the ability to do shared calendars in Outlook. APC, I would try to set up your Outlook calendars anyways. Let us know if it works for you.

Gary Network/Systems Admin Berlin, NH
    Host Non-profit Tech Careers, Security Forums
    Co-Host Networks, Hardware, & Telecommunications Forum

• Ok, Here's what's up. I never needed scheduling software before since we neither had a network available nor were developed enough as a facility to require it. The system for scheduling has changed. The appointment "book" was used and kept in the receptionist office only. Since the receptionist position is no more the schedule now needs to be accessed and arranged from any computer by other staff. Appointments can then be sorted and documented in a much more professional and efficient way. With password protection to the program they can also be more confidential.
    So, this is why I need the software. We serve about 100 clients per month so far, but anticipate more as the organization grows. The various reasons for those appointments can be color coded preferable, and the person who takes the appointment can see his/her schedule at a glance from their own desk. I don't need anything elaborate, as in most medical offices. I don't want it to include our personal schedules, only business. Since I am the Director, my Outlook calendar is not for all eyes. The man who set up my Network said that it wouldn't work anyway. I also can't afford much. IU've found some programs while searching the web, but most require a hefty license fee per computer. Does this help?
  • We've been using Brown Bear Software's Calcium calendar for about 5 years. You can host it on a website or server, there's a companion desktop program to synchronize with your Outlook calendar, but keeps your private stuff off the shared calendar. Everyone can have a personal calendar, and you can have shared calendars that will show all staff at once, or sub-groups of staff. It's password protected. If you have a website, and want to post events on a calendar, you can create one that anyone can get into, without affecting the other calendars. They have free calendars available there so you can try it out. I use one of those with a volunteer group I'm with. Their tech support has always been fast, friendly and helpful. (www.brownbearsw.com)

Jill
  • I would also take a look at Code Two's public folders. This topic came up here fairly recently and it was suggested by another TechSoup memebr to give this a try. I have not personally used it, but your consultant/technician should be able to manage through how to use this for what you need.

Chris Shipley
    Nutmeg Consulting

• I first want to say that I am by no means connected with alloFactor other than my being one of their customers. That being said, I run a small nonprofit mental health & substance abuse practice in South East Wisconsin. Having come from hospital based clinics and other outpatient clinics, I knew the benefits of a practice management software were tremendous. I searched for an affordable solution and simply couldn't find one to fit our budget. Then I found alloFactor ( http://www.alloFactor.com ) I cannot say enough about it. The practice management side of things is completely free! Scheduling, Registration, Contact Management, Tasks, Statementing, Reports, and all free! The only charges are for Billing Services, EMR, EDI Claims, eligibility verification, ERA Payments, and Transcription services which are at very resonable and competitive rates against other vendors I have used in the past. On top of the free software that is hosted so there's no expensive equipment to buy, the support and staff at alloFactor have been increadible. They have even gone as far as to write me custom reports, make reccommended software changes, and closely listen to my thoughts, ideas, and suggestions. I recommend it to anyone looking for a complete practice management solution!
    alloFactor will easily accomodate any outpatient medical or behavioral practice.