TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Planning to virtualize your office?

Planning to virtualize your office?

• We're looking at the variety of ways to lower costs and go greener for nonprofits and libraries, so virtualization has been an ever-growing topic in this arena. Have you virtualized your office? Have you done server or desktop virtualization? Used thin-clients or even zero-clients?

We'll be posting the follow up piece to our original Virtualization 101 next week, this time focusing on multi-seat virtualization. Keep an eye on this thread for the article once it goes live. And in the meantime, share your experiences with going virtual!

Thanks,

Becky

Becky Wiegand is the Interactive Events Producer at TechSoup.org
    @bajeckabean on Twitter

• I have begun testing Virtual Desktop per forum discussion with Shipley, last summer.

The first has been a Win7 running XP Mode to take care of legacy programs.  That is working quite well on a test box with a Dual Core processor.

My next test will be virtual server enviornment, something we need to control costs.

I am not able to find tips on Virtual Desktop for issues like utilizing programs like Adobe Acrobat or printers from the VP enviornment.

EG: using a NT legacy program from Dpt of Defense and trying to get to my 64 bit environment for Adobe.  Not found anything to help so far.