Get Windows 10 for Your Organization

Get Windows 10 for Your Organization

• Comments 18
  • The section on: Windows 7 or 8.1 Enterprise and want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro appears to be incorrect. We no longer have software assurance, and have been attempting to upgrade some machines. Since we have volume keys, our machines are not eligible for the pro upgrade. We can reinstall pro using our key and then get the upgrade, but it kinda defeats the purpose of an upgrade.

• You're right, matt_mcil. We've corrected the table with additional information about options for upgrading from Windows 7 or 8.1 Enterprise to Pro. While it's technically possible to upgrade for free, requesting a new upgrade license through TechSoup might be an easier option than reinstalling Pro on all your machines.

• I have Windows 8.1 Pro from Techsoup. The way Microsoft wants you to upgrade to Windows 10 is overly complicated. The easiest way to do it is use the Media Creation Tool. Download it here

Download Windows 10 (Media Creation Tool)

Once you download and run the Media Creation Tool you have two options:

1. Upgrade to Windows 10

2. Download Windows 10 ISO file.

If you download the ISO file then you can simply mount it if you have Windows 8.1. Then to upgrade to Windows 10 run the setup.exe program in the mounted ISO.

If you download the ISO file and have Windows 7 then you can mount it if you have a 3rd party program to do so. Otherwise you will need to burn the ISO to a DVD. Again to upgrade you need to run the setup.exe program on it.

In all cases you need to upgrade to Windows 10 while logged in to either Windows 7 or 8.1. Booting from the Windows 10 DVD and trying to install it that way will work but you will not be able to activate it.

• Why are not HOME versions of windows considered qualifying operating systems?

The computers that we can have donated to the organization are often from private persons with a home version of the operating system. Many of them have XP or Vista and are not eligible for a free Windows 10 upgrade.

For those we would need to acquire an windows operating system upgrade through the open license for non-profits program (which will give us an academic license) at 4 times the cost.

It is true that the BUSINESS version of the open-license program requires a PRO version for the windows operating system upgrade product, but this is not true for the ACADEMIC or CHARITY open license programs, which are the programs under which the donated licenses are issued.

See the PDF  "Windows 10 qualifying operating systems chart" download.microsoft.com/.../Windows10-QOS.pdf

found on the web page www.microsoft.com/.../windows10.aspx

• Not sure healthinsweden, but I'm sure customer service can help you with an answer www.techsoup.org/.../Contact-Us

• Our small nonprofit needs to upgrade our legitimate licenses for Windows 7 and 8.1 that were NOT purchased on TechSoup to Pro. It looks like the Windows Operating System Upgrade www.techsoup.org/.../windows-operating-system-upgrade--LS-47919-- is the only product TechSoup offers that lets us upgrade to Pro--by having us pay to upgrade to Windows 10. Our question is: Will this upgrade "wipe" our computers, requiring us to reinstall programs, applications and files?

• Hi hmhiowa,

If you have Windows 7 or 8.1, you should be able to do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 and keep all your files, apps, and settings. Which edition of Windows 7 or 8.1 do you have?

• We have a donated desktop with the Home Premium Windows Vista license.  The answer your chart gives for this version is to "Request a Windows Pro Full Operating System -- Get Genuine license..."  However, when I click this link, the list of System Requirements clearly states "You cannot upgrade from any Home edition of Windows."  So does that mean there is no way to upgrade this computer?

• Hi bkprsecy,

Sorry, the link in that particular section was pointing to the Windows upgrade instead of the Get Genuine license. Your computer is definitely eligible for Get Genuine. We've corrected the link, try this one: www.techsoup.org/.../windows-pro-full-operating-system-%E2%80%93-get-genuine--L-47924--

• Back in the day we bought Charity and Academic MOLP licences from Windows 95 to Vista, and office.

I am having trouble with a laptop still with Windows Vista Home Basic to get an upgrade.  Current licensing of free software is Windows 7/8 Ultimate and Pro versions, but do not upgrade from Vista Home Basic.  Academic resellers offering Windows 10 upgrades, which allow backwards installing of Windows 7 or 8, but will we end up again with Pro editions that are not compatible to upgrade from Vista Home Basic bought charity and academic.  Any solution?

• Is it too late to Upgrade to windows 7. We are still on WIN XP(Sigh)

• Hi TheWiseGuy,

I'm not sure I understand your situation, but if you have a laptop with Windows Vista Home Basic that you want to upgrade to Windows 10, you can request a Get Genuine full OS license to get Windows 10 Pro: www.techsoup.org/.../windows-pro-full-operating-system-%E2%80%93-get-genuine--L-47924--

If you want Windows 10 Enterprise, you can request the Windows Upgrade product after you request the Get Genuine product: www.techsoup.org/.../windows-operating-system-upgrade--LS-47919--

• Hi stevemac201,

If you request the Windows Upgrade product, Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 will be available in the VLSC. You won't be able to get Windows 7 -- however, Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 all have pretty much the same system requirements. Unless you have software that won't run on Windows 10 you might consider upgrading to the current version.

• Thanks. I was planning on upgrading to windows 7 then going to 10. I have just had a little bit of windows 10 and I'm not sure if I like it very much... Oh Well....

• Do not make the switch to Windows 10!  The taskbar startup connection fails continuously.  The internet connection fails continuously.  When you write text in an email, the page freezes.  This has been on-going since we have made the conversion and we have not received any support that helps improve the performance.  Don't make the switch.

TechSoup Default Logo