Telecommuting Toolkit: What You Need to Work Remotely

Telecommuting Toolkit: What You Need to Work Remotely

• Comments 3
  • No "virtual volunteers" - only real ones!

Anyway.... I like using Skype chat, Skype audio conferencing, and instant messaging that I can view through Adium, to stay in touch with online volunteers I'm working with, as well as good old-fashioned email. What I like about Skype chat or instant messaging through Adium is that they can see when I'm online, and know I'll answer a DM.

Facebook hasn't been a good tool for me in working with online volunteers, because it's not just about their work - it's about their dog and what they are having for dinner and their kids and on and on - and while it's nice to know a bit more about remote volunteers, on a personal level, work-related messages get lost in all that social clutter.

Wikispaces used to be a really important tool for me for online collaboration with remote staff, but now that they are charging, I'm looking for free alternatives. Same with YahooGroups - it used to be my very favorite online collaboration tool, but now that the discussions are threaded and the interface is so hard to use, I'm now looking for alternatives.

• All great suggestions! I've used many of these myself. Telecommute can be rough if you miss the office environment after awhile, but those teleconferencing tools are all great way to stay connected. Thanks GInny!

• In addition to above mentioned tools to work remotely, you may also try other alternatives like on premise R-HUB web conferencing and remote support servers. It provides 6 real time collaboration applications in one box.

TechSoup Default Logo