Join

Volunteer Retention: Skills Matching

Volunteer Retention: Skills Matching

• Comments 1
  • "Volunteers with valuable and specialized skills are often dispatched to do manual labor rather than tasks that use their professional talents. When a volunteer provides a service that is outside of their core skill set, they often don’t get much out of the experience." That can be the case... but a lot of volunteers actually want opportunities that don't have to do with their professional talents. People volunteer for different reasons. Some actually want to do manual labor that has nothing to do with their day job. I've had many volunteers say to me, "I don't want to do such-and-such - that's what I do for a living. I want to do something entirely different."

Creating opportunities for volunteers who want to apply work or school skills is great. But also creating opportunities for people to volunteer along side of people they would never get to know otherwise, to engage in manual labor, to work outdoors, to get a taste of what the organization actually does - those are all just as worthwhile, and should be explored as well.