Join

Windows XP Upgrade Tips – Will Your Existing Software and Hardware Work?

Windows XP Upgrade Tips – Will Your Existing Software and Hardware Work?

• Comments 8
  • We will need to keep using XP because of software that will take a while to move to a new OS.

My biggest concern isn't getting a virus, since these machines are not linked to the internet.  My biggest concern is if the hard drive goes, and I need to reinstall the OS, as well as the dozens of software applications that are designed for XP instead of a later version.

I'd like to clone the machine, so I could get the machine repaired, and then copy the old configuration back, but I've not been successful with either Barts PE or Acronis in doing that.

Do you have any suggestions for a software package that will let me clone a 260 BG hard drive to a 1 TB external drive, and then, using another computer, put that 250 GB back to either the same computer with a larger hard drive, or a different computer with the same size or larger hard drive?

• "My biggest concern isn't getting a virus, since these machines are not linked to the internet" Big caution regarding that statement: by far, the majority of viruses any PC I've worked on have gotten have come from memory sticks, NOT from the Internet!

• What did you mean by stopping support for Office 2003.  Will office 2003 work in Windows 7?  I prefer 2003 to the newer versions, I have both.

At least I hope you’re planning to upgrade. April has been called the 'XPocalypse' for a good reason: When Microsoft stops support, PCs using XP and Office 2003 will face greatly increased exposure to malware attacks.

• Thornton - by stopping support for Office 2003, Microsoft will stop issuing security patches and hot fixes for the software. By most accounts I've seen there'll be an increasing barrage of malware attacks targeting XP and Office 2003 starting in April. You'll be completely on your own, no matter what trouble you get into. Computerworld declared that XP's & Office 2003's retirement will be hacker heaven as soon as Microsoft ceases to support them.

Office 2003 will work in Windows 7, but it will provide an opening for viruses, worms, trojans, bots, spyware and other things to infect your computers. I've look and haven't found any tech writer saying that this is a false alarm. It looks to me like the real deal.

• Margaret,

I checked with an alpha-geek techie on your request for a cloning solution for the 260 GB hard drive to a 1 TB external drive. It looks like Acronis True Image may be what you're looking for. It is is designed to clone an internal drive (including OS) to an external one. After you transfer the image to another drive or PC, it can also update that data to the external drive as well, so it can function as a local back-up solution as well.

To transfer the image from the external HD to a new HD, you'll need to make a bootable flash drive. Find step-by-step instructions on how to do that at: kb.acronis.com/.../44351.

Acronis True Image currently costs $50 for a single image/computer, and $80 for three images/computers.

www.acronis.com/.../trueimage

I'm told their tech support is pretty good as well

-jim

• An option besides Acronis is to do this with open source tool like Gparted.  Image the drive to the new drive, then boot to Gparted and resize the partition.  Haven't done this for a few years, but it should work fairly well.

Rog

• Ditto on Acronis (in terms of ease of use).  If you don't mind spending the $50, it's a good tool.

Rog

• I looked at your site and even though Windows 7 is still supported by Microsoft, I do not see the ability to purchase that OS. This is strange because you are caring two version of office (2010 and 2013). Will W7 be added back or will your non profit customer be forced to go from XP to W8 upgrade 1? This will mean that for some a new computer purchase instead of just possibly a memory upgrade.

TechSoup Default Logo