TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Religious Organizations Are Now Eligible for Microsoft Donations at TechSoup

Religious Organizations Are Now Eligible for Microsoft Donations at TechSoup

• Comments 22

Good news! Religious 501(c)(3) organizations can now receive Microsoft donations from TechSoup, as well as donations of Office 365 directly from Microsoft. This includes churches, synagogues, and missions with a focus on worship and evangelism. From operating systems to office productivity suites to graphic design software, Microsoft has made over 250 products available for donation through TechSoup.

Religious organizations have long made important contributions to public life, from alleviating poverty to offering job training and building communities, and Microsoft can help you do even more.

Your Guide to Donated Software Through TechSoup

1. Check Your Eligibility

Check out a list of all the donation programs you’re eligible for by logging in to your TechSoup account, clicking Check Eligibility in the left navigation, and selecting your organization from the drop-down menu. Check back often! We’re always adding new products and programs.

And remember: every donation program at TechSoup has its own rules and restrictions. (Some let you request only one donation, some let you request several.) Make sure to check those, so you’re getting all the donations you need.

2. Register Your Nonprofit

Signing up to become a TechSoup member, and then registering your nonprofit with us, is the first step toward getting product donations. Plus, as a TechSoup member, you can connect and compare notes with other nonprofits, charities, and libraries in our community forums and on our blog.

3. Next Step: Qualification

To receive product donations from TechSoup, an organization must be a 501(c)(3) nonprofit or a public library. We verify your tax-exempt status through the information you provide us, along with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) information. Qualification generally takes up to 10 business days.

You can check your organization’s qualification status by logging in, selecting My Account, and checking out the Qualification Status column under My Organizations.

Special Donation Offer from Microsoft: Office 365 for Nonprofits

Increase productivity, reduce costs, and simplify your nonprofit or charity’s IT management with Office 365 for Nonprofits from Microsoft. Office 365 can enable your team to work how they need to, breaking down geographic boundaries so you can help more people and affect more change. Available directly to qualifying organizations through Microsoft, Office 365 provides you and your staff with web-based access to Office applications, plus professional email, calendar, video conferencing, and access to your documents from anywhere. 

Additional Resources:

TechSoup donations for religious organizations

Microsoft catalog

Image: L.C.Nøttaasen

Visit me at Google+

Patrick Duggan | TechSoup Digital Marketing Manager

• Wow!  This is HUGE news!  I've been in the Church IT field for 10yrs and I'm happy to see TechSoup is finally available to Churches :-)

@jasonpowell

• "I'm happy to see TechSoup is finally available to Churches :-)"

Just to be clear - TechSoup has always been available to communities of faith! TechSoup welcomes you and anyone else to join us on the TechSoup forum, for instance, to talk about your tech use with volunteers and supporters, and to ask questions about such. All blogs and webinars are available to communities of faith as well.

In addition, there are products offered through the TechSoup product program that are available to communities of faith. But please be aware that it is the donating company that produces the software that decides what organizations it will be available to - not TechSoup. If there are restrictions on a product being available to a community of faith, those restrictions are by the product provider, not TechSoup.

Glad you are happy with the news about this change from Microsoft.

• Very happy to see Microsoft do this for non profits.

• Our church will be so happy to upgrade from Office 2003 to 2013!  This will help us out a ton! Thanks all!

• Thrilled to know about this change to Microsoft's policies.  So glad they recognize the contributions that so many people of faith and their organizations make to help others.  On behalf of www.theGlobalMission.org - thanks!  We'll be getting the word out to our friends and partner ministries and churches as well.

• I just looked to see if it was offered for my organization, but couldn't see it listed under eligibility for Microsoft products. Is that where I should look for Office 365? I've got an email into support asking for help, but thought I would post here.

• Hi gpcumc, Office 365 for Nonprofits is actually available directly from Microsoft. You can find it here: www.microsoft.com/office365nonprofits

• God answers prayers!!!  This is awesome!!! Our church has already purchased Office 2013 but we're excited to see Microsoft do this for faith based organizations.

• Only problem I see with this is that in order register with TechSoup.org the church must have a determination letter that cost $800 to get from the IRS even if they already have an EIN and have had 501(c)(3) for many years.

• Per www.microsoft.com/.../faq

"Organizations that engage in discrimination in hiring, compensation, access to training or services, promotion, termination, and/or retirement based on race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, political affiliation, union membership, or veteran status, other than as allowed by law, are not eligible for software donations."

Not sure much has changed.

• "Only problem I see with this is that in order register with TechSoup.org" Just to be clear, there are requirements regarding IRS determination to register for the TechSoup product donation program, however, there are NO such requirements to join other TechSoup.org services, such as the online community forum or free webinars.

• To teacherwhite:  What has changed is that tens of thousands of nonprofits are now eligible for these donations.  Yes, you must warrant that your organization does not discriminate in hiring or program services in order to receive Microsoft donations.  This is a requirement of Microsoft’s for all their philanthropy and applies to all organizations that it serves with donations.

• To mclayton: it’s not just churches that much provide an IRS determination letter – all nonprofits must to participate in the product donation programs that TechSoup administers.  It’s been a stipulation of the TechSoup product donation program since its inception.

• To mclayton: there should be no charge for obtaining a determination letter from the IRS.  A determination letter simply states that the IRS is granting your organization 501(c)(3) status.  When your organization first received its 501(c)(3) designation, the IRS would have sent your organization a letter stating this.  This is your determination letter.  Our organization had been using our determination letter from 20 years ago but recently ran into one funder who only wanted determination letters from the last 3 years.  I called the IRS and they sent me a new one, no charge.

• @teacherwhite - Read that statement from Microsoft again closely.  Note it states "other than allowed by law" ... so assuming your hiring practices are legal per fed and state regulations then you are eligible.