If you're thinking about trying out TechSoup's 2013 Digital Storytelling Challenge by making a 90-second video or five-image slide show about your charitable work, uploading it to YouTube or Flickr, and submitting the link to us, you might find Adobe Story Free useful. Adobe Story Free is a free online service from Adobe.com that you can use to create your script and help with screenwriting.

Digital Storytelling Challenge logo

How It Works

Adobe Story Free is part of Adobe Creative Cloud, which is Adobe's year-old online service that leads the company's cloud strategy to switch from single purchase "on-premises" software to a monthly payment model.

To try out Adobe Story Free, go to the Adobe Story webpage, click on "join" to create an Adobe Creative Cloud ID. After you fill out your email address and choose a password, Adobe will send you a confirmation email. It may well land in our spam filter like mine did, so be sure to check there if doesn't arrive in your inbox within a few minutes.

Once you click the confirmation link in the email and log in go here. I found it a bit difficult to navigate all this for the first time, but once I managed it, I just went back to the Adobe Story log-in webpage to get back in.

Once inside the Adobe Story Free online application I found it easy to use. Click on "Projects," then click on "New." The film script format looks to be the simplest template to use. Once in the script you can then write in your script language. The program saves your changes automatically. The application maintains the proper script formatting as you write. You can choose from a range of standard script types.

Features

• Adobe Story Free integrates well with Adobe Premiere, which is available as a donation as part of Creative Suite 6 Production Premium to qualified organizations.
  • You can import existing screenplays from Final Draft, Microsoft Word, Movie Magic Screenwriter, and other screenwriting software tools. You can also export your script to PDF, XML, CSV, TXT, and Microsoft Word.
  • You can view and compare all versions and drafts, and keep drafts organized and accessible in a consolidated place.
  • Of course you have access to your scripts wherever you have an Internet connection, and can view them on iPhones.

I'm admittedly not a power user when it comes to making videos, but the ones I have been involved with, even very short ones, have all required some pre-planning and scripting to make them watchable. Adobe Story Free is a solid free tool to help with that part of video preproduction.

Resources

Be sure and check out TechSoup's 2013 Digital Storytelling Challenge if you'd like to try shooting a short video about your charitable work and get it out there for many people to see.