Hello everyone. I am pleased to have the opportunity to be a part of the TechSoup blogger community, and I’m excited to get started with my first blog post. Rather than jump in with my "8 Things You Need to Know about Technology" post, I thought I’d do a more complete introduction first. Here goes …

My experience in the nonprofit sector started a little differently than most. In the early part of 2000, I was working for a large engineering company, SAIC, when I was approached by two coworkers about setting up a technology nonprofit. The idea was that we would take used computers from a customer, the county of San Diego, refurbish them, and donate them to nonprofits, schools, and families.

I didn’t know much about nonprofits, but I knew plenty about technology, computer distribution, and technical training. It sounded like an interesting and worthy project, and I figured I could set it up quickly and then return to technical project management and business development.

A couple years in, I began to realize that my engagement with the nonprofit sector would last longer than I had originally expected. Whenever I thought I was "done," there always seemed to be "one more thing" I needed to stay and do. This happened over and over until, in November 2012, I was finally "done," and I left the San Diego Futures Foundation (SDFF).

When I left, SDFF had a staff of 36 and a budget of $4.5 million. The value of the resources we provided to the community was estimated to exceed $25 million. We had distributed more than 25,000 computers to 1,000+ nonprofits. In 2008, with support from the California Emerging Technology Fund, we established a formal digital divide program and, with the help of our community partners, connected more than 10,000 previously disconnected homes to broadband Internet. In August 2012, the Public Policy Institute of California reported that San Diego’s digital divide had narrowed by 20 percent since 2008, and San Diego had pulled even with San Francisco as the most connected county in California.

I left SDFF for the same reason I stayed: because there was one more thing to do. This time, the one more thing was to take what I learned at SDFF and see if I could help other nonprofits make better use of technology. So, in November, I created a company, AdaptImpact, to do just that. Having spent 12 years working with nonprofits and focusing on technology, I realized that my knowledge and experience could probably benefit others. And since I grew SDFF from the ground up, I know firsthand the challenges that nonprofit executives and program managers face.  I know how technology can help, and I definitely know how it can hurt.

Here on the TechSoup blog, I plan to talk about my experiences including my extensive work with cloud computing, and I’ll give advice and opinions on other newer technologies like social media and mobile computing. I’ll probably spend as much time on the more mundane but very important things like network management, backups, security, data, funding for technology, funder reporting, etc. I hope you’ll consider following my posts and submitting comments, questions, and feedback — positive or otherwise.