TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Microsoft Retires Small Business Server

Microsoft Retires Small Business Server

• Comments 7
Microsoft has officially retired its line of Small Business Server products. Future versions of Small Business Server Essentials are included in the Windows Server 2012 family of products under a new name, Windows Server 2012 Essentials, which you can request as a donation now through TechSoup.

TechSoup discontinued all Microsoft Small Business Server products from its catalog on August 1, 2012.

Software Assurance Benefits for Small Business Server

If your Small Business Server Standard Edition Software Assurance benefits are still active, your rights will be carried over to Windows Server 2012 Server Standard Edition and Exchange Server 2010 Standard Edition. In other words, you'll be able to get Windows Server 2012.

If you have Software Assurance on Small Business Server 2011 Premium Add-on, your rights will be carried over to Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition, Exchange Server 2010 Standard Edition, and SQL Server 2012 Standard Edition.

If you have active Software Assurance on this product... ...you will be able to upgrade to these product licenses as they become available.

SBS 2008 Standard Edition

• 1 Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition license
  • 1 Exchange Server 2010 Standard Edition license

SBS 2011 Standard Edition

SBS 2011 Standard Edition and Premium Add-on

• 1 SQL Server 2012 Standard Edition license

More Information

Check back on the TechSoup blog as Microsoft releases further updates. In the meantime, check out these Microsoft resources for more information:

Wes is a Web Content Developer at TechSoup.

• Does that mean Microsoft will no longer offer any small business server products other than Windows Server 2012 Essentials?

Daryl

• @Daryl: That's correct. Microsoft is retiring the Small Business Server (SBS) line of products, except for Essentials.

• I am the Network Administrator (volunteer) for McLeod County Historical Society.  We are curently running SBS 2000 with 8 clients.  I am installing SBS 2003 on a used Dell server.  I would like to buy another copy of SBS 2003 (I have the server already) to use as a test server (sandbox environment).  We cannot afford to upgrade any equipment or software.  Is there any way I can purchase another copy?  Thanks.

• Any news on date of 2012 Essentials showing up here on techsoup?

• Hi TheRefuge,

It's available now: home.techsoup.org/.../Product.aspx

Regards,

Carlos

• we have sbs 2008 premium with software assurance.  can we upgrade to 2012 server, exchange server and sql server?

• we have sbs 2008 Standard Ed. with software assurance, who do we contact to get the upgrade?