What if Cloud Vendors Go Out of Business or Delete Your Account?

What if Cloud Vendors Go Out of Business or Delete Your Account?

• Comments 7
  • Honestly, this is my greatest fear when it comes to storing data in the cloud. One day, all my information is at my fingertips. Life is great. Next day, all my data is suddenly gone without warning.  Catastrophe.

Hi Everyone. My name is Yann. I'm an Internet professional with a Cloud Phobia.

• I agree with Yann as someone responsible for network and therefore data security and backup. Working as I do in Ethiopia another concern is the availability of data 'in the cloud' if the power goes or there are problems at Ethiopia Telecom (the most frequent reason they give for service breaks is rats eating the cable!). Put your data 'in the cloud' but if it is critical keep a local copy.

• This is one of the reasons I setup and have my customers use CloudPockets.com. It provides for both a local, and cloud backup.

If you are Canadian based it has the added benefit of storing your data in Canada, not in the US where it is subject to US security and privacy laws.

Disclaimer: I am an owner of CloudPockets.com

• Technicalguy,

Just curious, any plans in the works to offer charities a discount of some sort on Cloudpockets.com?

• Haha, Yann, I wish I could "like" your post.

I'm a fan of the 2x2x2 rule, but that's easier said than done. I worked in a teeny office (with no IT staff) that had a server with backup tapes that would literally electrocute people if they touched it without touching the wall first. LOL And the backup tapes often didn't work or complete the backup.

So we used Jungle Disk and the backup tapes with the server and rotated the tapes between houses regularly. But we were always concerned about a set of tapes getting stolen from someone's car and what client data could go missing as a result. But we were too paranoid to ONLY rely on the cloud, so we did both.

• I'm another who works across international boundaries and we have simply given up the use of cloud services because they are so reliant on local telecoms (so fragile in less developed and disaster prone parts of the world), and similarly so reliant on the whims of corporate Cloud providers. Yes if they go bust you do not have a leg to stand on... particularly at this time of global economic turbulence.

• I'm surprised by the omission of Microsoft in the list of hybrid cloud providers above. The current version of their server software products (OS, email, database and web content management) are available to non-profits via Techsoup and are designed to support a hybrid cloud (they actually power Microsoft's own cloud services). In addition, Techsoup also has Office 365 subscriptions available which include a suite of cloud services in addition to the Office software. Office 365 integrates with a hybrid cloud, allowing users to use both on premise and cloud-based services. In regards to storage and having data stored both locally and in the cloud, I would like to see the StorSimple products available to non-profits via TechSoup. StorSimple products automate hybrid storage in a very nice way but at a higher cost.

PS: I am a Systems Administrator for a non-profit organization and not affiliated with Microsoft in any way.