TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Learn to Use Adobe Software

Learn to Use Adobe Software

• Comments 9

Editor's note (March 12, 2014): The Adobe Foundation's Nonprofit Training Program described in this blog post is no longer active. You can still get access to Adobe product training at TechSoup through an Atomic Training donation. 

New to TechSoup — the Adobe Foundation's Nonprofit Training Program provides a series of donated online training courses for Dreamweaver, InDesign, or

Photoshop to nonprofit staff. Donations from this program allow one user to access Adobe software training videos on lynda.com for three months.

Online Training Products

These training products are considered separate from main Adobe Donation Program, so eligible organizations may request training products without affecting their request limits for the main program. Check out the restrictions for the Adobe Training donations to see if your organization qualifies.

Many nonprofits or libraries need to bring in an outside graphic designer, or ask a tech-savvy volunteer or staff member to do the work on top of other duties. With these donated training courses, novice Adobe users can get the basics they need to help your organization, while more experienced users can learn to design stronger newsletters, websites, and pamphlets.

Online Training for Dreamweaver

Learn how to more efficiently create, maintain, and improve the quality of websites. Lynda.com offers 45 Dreamweaver courses. Adobe recommends starting with the Dreamweaver CS5 Essential Training course, which covers all the basics from the Dreamweaver interface to managing websites.

Online Training for Dreamweaver

Online Training for InDesign

Learn how to more efficiently create and improve the quality of InDesign layouts. Lynda.com offers 56 InDesign courses. Adobe recommends starting with the InDesign CS5 Essential Training course, which covers all the basics from workspaces to packaging, printing, and exporting.

Online Training for InDesign

Online Training for Photoshop

Learn how to more efficiently edit and improve the quality of digital images. Lynda.com offers 126 Photoshop courses. Adobe recommends starting with the Photoshop CS5 Essential Training course, which covers all the basics from the use of Adobe Bridge to sharing images.

Online Training for Photoshop

About the Donated Adobe Trainings

Donations consist of a three-month premium subscription to lessons on the lynda.com training website. Most courses run between 10 and 30 hours, depending on the product. Specialized lessons often run under one hour.

You or your staff can view video tutorials from any web-connected computer and also from iPhones or iPads with the lynda.com app. The premium subscription allows you to download the same files the instructor uses in the videos to then practice your new skills on your own computers.

Because this is a pilot program, you or your staff will be surveyed within six months of receiving your donation. Your responses will help TechSoup and Adobe understand if this program was useful, and how it could be improved.

Need Some Inspiration?

Check out these three great archived webinars for some ideas on how to get the most from your Adobe software:

Evergreen and International Rivers were runners-up in the 2008 Show Your Impact contest.

• How about adding Premiere Elements?

• Hi neilayoung, this is actually a pilot program. We're going to be collecting feedback at the end of the pilot, so we'll be sure to pass along your feedback looking for expanded offerings to Adobe.

• Patrick, is Techsoup/Adobe going to offer these courses again anytime soon? Of all the training resouces we've had our people use, the lynda.com site has proven to be the fastest and most effective way to get our people up to speed!

• Hi AlanStaats, I'm looking into this for you, and I'll try to get you an answer next week. I'm glad you got such effective use from the lynda.com training site!

• Hi AlanStaats, here's where things stand. We're not sure if these donated trainings will be coming back.

But, would you be open to being contacted about your experience with the training program, and to providing more detail on your positive experience that we'd take to Adobe in hopes that it assists in making the training program a permanent part of the Adobe Donation program?

• The Adobe training through lynda.com is incredibly useful. I'm really hoping it comes back soon!

• Lynda.com training is very effective; however, a couple of observations are in order:

(1) the courses specify a certain number of hours of total viewing time. I would as a minimum double or triple that, simple to allow you to work the exercises on your own copy of the Adobe product and to listen to some of the sections two or three times until the material soaks in.

(2) a multiscreen desktop setup provides the best learning environment.  I have a four screen computer, and use three of them for the course. The left screen is the index of the course -- it tells me where I am.  The middle screen is used to display the video. And the right screen is used for the Adobe product to perform the exercises along with the instructor. Now while a three screen configuration is nice, even a two screen setup will make a BIG difference, with the left screen running the video and the right screen running your copy of the Adobe product.

Finally, be sure to take the "How to use Lynda.com" course ... it will help the first timer use their time wisely.

Good luck!

• I sent an email last fall about the lynda.com training program. I used it as an individual then thru tech-soup when it became available. Add me to the list of people hoping that Adobe and Tech-soup can make it available to us again, and expand it to include the creative suites. Lynda.com is a step above all the others I have tried.

• I am disappointed that Lynda.com is no longer available for training purposes. Atomic is NOT the same. You get one month period and can't add time.