TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

Text to Give TweetChat on October 5

Text to Give TweetChat on October 5

• Comments 6
Did you know that text messages are reported to have an open rate of over 90 percent according to a number of reputable marketing studies? And did you catch the Pew Research Center’s latest findings, announced this week, revealing that a third of text, or short message service (SMS), users prefer to be reached via SMS?

Join TechSoup on Wednesday, October 5 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific time via the Twitter hashtag #Text2Give for a real-time discussion of how text-to-give campaigns can help nonprofits. 

In the nonprofit realm, the Red Cross' text message donation platform offers the best real-life illustration to the power of SMS. When following the January 2010 earthquake that struck Haiti, the Red Cross quickly mobilized a text donation campaign that raised an astounding $32 million. The preceding facts and figures speak to the power of text messaging as a fundraising tool worth examining for your organization.

Whether you have given serious consideration to using texting for fundraising or are looking to understand how fundraising via texting even works, TechSoup invites you to an upcoming tweetchat on texting for fundraising. Join us on Wednesday, October 5 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific time to learn more.

How to participate

• Join us directly in the TweetChat room to follow along with the conversation
  • Participate in the conversation on Twitter using the hashtag #Text2Give

Have questions about mobile fundraising you want to see answered during the TweetChat? Tweet them to @TechSoup and include the hashtag #Text2Give

Never participated in a TweetChat before? Check out this how-to in TechSoup's Nonprofit Social Media 101 Wiki and watch the video below.

• How do I register for this event?

• Hi woodsrl,

I've edited the blog entry above with more specific instructions about how to participate in the event. Please let me know if you have more questions!

• I would like to listen in and participate but I will be driving. I hope you will offer this again in an audio version.

• Hiya speffer,

Since this event takes place as a conversation on Twitter (rather than an audio or video online event), you can catch up on the topic after just by following the hashtag #Text2Give.

And we'll also post a recap with highlights back here on this blog so you can get the best tips and advice shared after the fact.

Thanks,

Becky

Editor

TechSoup.org

• I find this format not very friendly. Would prefer to listen or engage in a conference call and chat could be peripheral. While SMS topic is great, tweet format for discussion not so great.

• Hi, sfsailing.

Thank you for your feedback. Sorry you do not find the tweet chat format engaging. While we do strive to make our events as broadly accessible as possible, it is impossible to be 100% successful with this. TechSoup does present events in a variety of formats, including webinars, interactive online events, occasional live events, and even events in "mixed reality" involving virtual worlds.

A few months ago we produced an online event with a similar topic to tomorrow's tweetchat: the future of fundraising. You can watch the recording of that event here: forums.techsoup.org/.../nplive-future-of-fundraising.aspx

More TechSoup events can be found here: forums.techsoup.org/.../techevents.aspx

These include our webinars and interactive online events. Conference calls are usually held internally, but it's an interesting idea for an event. I don't recall if TechSoup has ever produced one as a public event, but I have seen them advertised here and there on nonprofit tech listservs.

In any case, thank you for your feedback. After the event wraps, there will also be a recap on our blog with highlights and key learnings. I hope you will find that informative.

Very best,

Michael DeLong

Online Community Manager