Why Should Nonprofits Care About Cloud Computing?

Why Should Nonprofits Care About Cloud Computing?

• Comments 4
  • Hello.  Great article.  1 question - under Risks...3rd listed: "Regulatory Compliance: If you need to be HIPAA- or PCI-compliant or conform to other regulations, make sure your service provider is certified."  What certifications am I looking for?  Thanks.

• Thank you for this. I can use this for my new job as staff for a software architect since I really don't have that much background on internet marketing. More power!

• Hi Jean,

Great question. Since this was written we have discovered that there are actually no national or international cloud security standards or best practices yet. That is explained a bit more in a piece called:

Security: The Scary Part of Cloud Computing

There are however cloud providers that are HIPAA compliant. An example of one of those is a hosting service called OnlineTech.com

It's a cloud  hosting company that specializes in medical data. Even robust services like Amazon Web Services are not HIPAA compliant unless users create HIPAA-compliant medical data applications that function inside Amazon Web Services.

It's looking to me like nonprofits that have special data security needs like this need to speak directly to cloud providers to explain exactly what they need and then to try and get assurances that the services deliver that - in writing if possible.

• I see that Microsoft's Azure cloud went down for about 8 hours today.

TechSoup Default Logo