TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

TechSoup 101: Becoming an Authorized Agent

• Comments 14
Secret Agent image from Flickr user vasta

This blog post is part of a series focused on managing accounts at TechSoup.org. So far, we've discussed registration, qualification, and updating your account and forum profiles. Watch for more posts to come!

Updated on 1/4/2013

As mentioned in the first post in this series about Registration, joining TechSoup as a member is the first step before registering an organization as well a required step for all individuals wishing to be associated with an organization's TechSoup account. Being associated with your organization's account will allow you to request donated and discounted products for your organization. The Join TechSoup link is available on the home page of www.techsoup.org.

We often get questions about this process and what we suggest as the best practices.

• Email Address: The email address on the member profile is used as the login ID and for a few specific things and should be the most appropriate email for the following: Password Reminders, Donation Request Confirmation Emails, and TechSoup Newsletters.
  • Member Name: Individuals can create a personal member name to be displayed while logged into the TechSoup website and posting in our Community Forums. This is really up to the individual. Some people prefer something specific to the organization if they intend to transfer responsibility of the account at some point, but ultimately the choice is yours! Member names cannot be changed once created.
  • First and Last Name: Even if an email address and Member Name reflecting the organization is selected, it is best to provide the name of the individual that will be managing the account. It is very helpful for us to know who we are talking to! This information can easily be changed at a later date.

Becoming an Authorized Agent for an existing organization account.

• The individual that initially registers an organization creates an Association Code. This is used exclusively as security information that allows additional individuals to become associated with an organization. This information is also sent by email with the Organization Registration Confirmation. Check first to see if the previous or existing Authorized Agent has it handy.
  • To start the process of becoming an authorized agent, individuals must Join TechSoup or login to an existing member account and click on the Register Organization link.
  • On the next page you will need to select the status of (501(c)(3) Nonprofit, 501(c)(3) Public Library, or Non-501(c)(3) Public Library) and enter the Employer Identification Number for 501(c)(3) status or the FSCS number for Non-501(c)(3) Public Libraries.
  • Next, click on the Find Your Organization button.
  • On the next page you can enter the Association Code, select your title and click Submit Code!

Voila! Your are now an Authorized Agent for your organization. Every time you log in with your email address and password, you'll have access to update the account, view the donation history, and place donation requests. For individuals taking over for a previous agent, the first thing you'll want to do is update the organization profile.

Looking up your organization's Authorized Agents:

Not sure who to ask for the Association Code or want to get the list of Authorized Agents currently associated with your organization? There are two ways to find this information:

Option 1) During Organization Registration/Find Your Organization

• Login to an existing member account and click on the Register Organization link.
  • On the next page you will need to select the status of (501(c)(3) Nonprofit, 501(c)(3) Public Library, or Non-501(c)(3) Public Library) and enter the Employer Identification Number for 501(c)(3) status or the FSCS number for Non-501(c)(3) Public Libraries.
  • Next, click on the Find Your Organization button.
  • On the next page you will find a list of the current Authorized agents.

Option 2) Already an Authorized Agent/Through the Organization Profile

• Login to an existing member account and click on the My Account link at the top of the page.
  • On the My Account page you will need to select the name of your organization under My Organizations.
  • On the next page you will find the organization's profile information as well as the list of the current Authorized agents.

If you are unable to locate the Associate Code or need to remove previous Authorized Agents, please contact Client Services and we'll be happy to help!

Check out all the posts in this series: 

TechSoup 101: Registration
TechSoup 101: Getting Qualified
TechSoup 101: Updating Your Account Information
TechSoup 101: Benefits of Your Member Profile
TechSoup 101: Managing Your Donation Requests

If you'd like to keep on top of more of TechSoup's happenings, sign up for one of our regular newsletters.

Photo: vasta

Autumn Teeter | Training and Optimization Manager for TechSoup Client Services

• My account manager is not with Philadelphia Reads any longer, I do not know my account number.  How do I get this?

• If you are unable to get the Association Code from a previous Authorized Agent, you can contact TechSoup Customer Service and we'll be happy to help. Visit our Need More Help? page for more information: www.techsoup.org/.../email.asp

• I really would like to apply for a donation of at least 2 PC and some educational software. We have started a scout group which we want to build moral regeneration for all the rural communities around our district. The computers will be used among 250 boy and girl scout in Amatole district Eastern cape. I have registered what is the next step. I want to apply fur donation of the PC and software.

• @larhino

Your next steps would be to register and qualify your organization. For detailed instructions please visit our Getting Started Guide: www.techsoup.org/.../gs_register.asp.

• The authorized agents that are listed on our account are no longer with our company.  How do I go about adding a new agent or updating the ones that are already attached to the account?

• keochcom, as Autumn commented for another user above, "If you are unable to get the Association Code from a previous Authorized Agent, you can contact TechSoup Client Services and we'll be happy to help. Visit our Need More Help? page for more information: https://www.techsoup.org/stock/contact/email.asp?contacttopicid=8&contactsubjectid=47

If you don't have access to the account info (and association code), contact our client services folks and they'll get you connected to your organization.

Becky
    Editor
    TechSoup.org

• HI,  I work with a public school and we have a very limited budget this year.   I would like to buy some things for my students.  As a teacher can I purchase items?  Do I need to enter the districts budget? hmmm..what avenue do I use to get to the point where I can purchase the flip cameras for student use?   Thanks so much for your help with this.. and for the information.

• Hi teacherpeg,

The products available through TechSoup are donated directly to 501(c)(3) nonprofits and public libraries and most public schools do not have 501(c)(3) status. Additionally, the Flip Video cameras are out of stock and are no longer being manufactured.

What I can suggest is this: There are lots of resources online that can help you get products or raise money for projects. You can post in our community forums to see if people have ideas that might help.

I'd also try websites like craigslist.com to see if someone has access to equipment they are willing to sell/donate, or you could even try something like kickstarter.com to raise some money, especially if the kids are doing a specific project that people might find interesting to sponsor.

Good luck with your search and let us know if you have additional questions!

Autumn

TechSoup Client Services

• How do we deactivate an Authorized Agent?

• Hi johnadairknox,

The best thing to do is contact Client Servcies: www.techsoup.org/.../email.asp. We'll need to verify the information on your account (Name, EIN, address, etc.), the name of the previous authorized agent you'd like to have remove and the reason for the removal.

Autumn

TechSoup Client Services

• Faith Community Support Trust (FCST) is a registered NGO based in Zimbabwe. I am a registered member of Techsoup but now need to have my Organisation registered with Techsoup so we can get organisational benefits to meet the organisation`s needs. How can I have my organisation registered with Techsoup since we are not based in any of the listed nations legible for registration.

• Hi Colleen,

TechSoup can only help provided donationed technology products within the countries that have an established Techsoup partner program. What I can suggest is that you get in touch with the other TechSoup programs in your region as they may have some resources they can point you to. www.techsoupglobal.org/countries

Autumn

TechSoup Client Services

• I will be putting Office 2010 on my computer.  Probably will update my computer sone.  Can I re-activate the software onto my new computer and how is that done?  Thx!!

• SVOIC, to ensure the right person sees this message, please post under the community under TechSoup Help.