TechSoup.org The place for nonprofits, charities, and libraries

TechSoup 101: Getting Qualified

• Comments 6

This blog post is part of a series focused on managing accounts at TechSoup.org.

Updated on 4/4/2014

At the end of the registration process (outlined in the blog post TechSoup 101: Registration) you will be instructed to submit  documentation to verify your organization's status with the IRS and the information that you registered with. The documents can be sent by mail, fax, or email. The following documentation must be sent in to complete the qualification process:

• The 501(c)(3) Tax Determination Letter supplied by the federal government
  • Non-501(c)(3) public libraries do not need to send in documentation in order to be qualified as we are able to verify library information through the IMLS website.
  • If the name or shipping address differs from the information provided on the 501(c)(3) determination letter, we will also need a clarification letter on your organization's letterhead which lists the TechSoup account information, the information on the determination letter, a brief explanation of why these are different, and a signature. Asking for this clarification letter may seem a bit unusual, but since we are helping to distribute donation programs and our partners need to be certain that the donated products are reaching the nonprofit that is registered, any time the information differs from what the IRS has on file we need to have something in writing that states what the differences are and why.

Documents can be faxed to (415) 633-9444, emailed to qualification<at>techsoup<dot>org or mailed to TechSoup Client Services at 435 Brannan Street, Suite 100, San Francisco, CA 94107.

Please look for emails from TechSoup Customer Service, in case we need additional information to complete your quaification.

Checking Qualification Status

After you have submitted the required documents, you can check on your organization's qualification status through your TechSoup profile. Qualification can take up to 10 business days, and qualification confirmation emails are sent to the email address on the organization profile once completed.

1. Log in.
   2. Click on the My Account link which will bring up the My Member Profile page
   3. This page displays information about organizations that you are affiliated with, either because you created them or because you were added as an authorized agent.
   4. The qualification status will be listed next to each organization's name.

Placing a Donation Request before being Qualified

Organizations can begin placing donation requests immediately after the organization registration is complete. Qualification must be complete before requests can be fulfilled.

Check out all the posts in this series: 

TechSoup 101: Registration
TechSoup 101: Updating Your Account Information
TechSoup 101: Benefits of Your Member Profile
TechSoup 101: Becoming an Authorized Agent
TechSoup 101: Managing Your Donation Requests

If you'd like to keep on top of more of TechSoup's happenings, sign up for one of our regular newsletters.

Photo: Simon Kisner, CC license

Autumn Teeter | Training and Optimization Manager for TechSoup Client Services

• I need help with the qualifying documents. The PDF of the check list links to examples that are not found on the new version of your website.

www.techsoup.org/.../document-example-ncl.pdf

www.techsoup.org/.../document-example-determination-letter.pdf

www.techsoup.org/.../document-example-acl.pdf

None of the above links, link to documents. I receive an "Error 404" and the following statement: We Couldn’t Find the Page You’re Looking For.

• Hi Toldymann,

We are still working on correcting a few links on the site, including the examples on this PDF. Hopefully the following information will help. If you have additional questions, please call Customer Service: www.techsoup.org/.../contact-us

If the name or shipping address differs from the information provided on the 501(c)(3) determination letter, we will also need a clarification letter on your organization's letterhead which lists the TechSoup account information, the information on the determination letter, a brief explanation of why these are different, and a signature. Asking for this clarification letter may seem a bit unusual, but since we are helping to distribute donation programs and our partners need to be certain that the donated products are reaching the nonprofit that is registered, any time the information differs from what the IRS has on file we need to have something in writing that states what the differences are and why.

Autumn

• I sent all of the documents requested via e-mail and would lke to know how long does the qualification process takes. It keeps coming as pending qualifications.  Thank you for your reply.

• I represent American Legion Post 178 in Frisco, TX.  We are a 501-C(19) Veterans (non-profit) organization.  We would like to register our organization with you but are unable to do so on your web site. Do we qualify as a non-profit under your rules? Please advise.  meyeringtk@gmail.com

• @American_Legion_Post_178

At this time, only 501(c)(3) organizations and public libraries can qualify for donated products available through TechSoup. It may be worth your while to check with the IRS to see if your organization could apply for and switch to  501(c)(3) status.

I also recommend that you check out our Quick Guide to Discounted programs. We have details about several programs offering discounts to nonprofits. www.techsoup.org/.../quick-guide-to-discounted-software-programs

• I need a link to the qualification documents cover sheet/checklist.

Thanks